MP- can i take apart and carry it on the plane?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by andyUKr, Oct 11, 2010.

1. andyUKr macrumors member

Hi everyone

I have a rather strange and i guess a bit random question as well.

I am looking to buy my first MP. I am planning to get the base model and keep it for 4-5 years as my main machine. The plans is to use it for photography, gaming and just as a main home computer. I would have gone for Imac but the screen issue i keep reading about is really putting me off.

But there is a bit of a catch. my company has relocated me to Russia and macs here cost an absolute fortune. SO i am thinking about getting one in the UK.
    Now of course shipping a whole machine with an airline is really out of the question. But as I understand of the benefits of MP is that it can be taken apart.
    So do you think it will survive the flight as a checked in luggage if i take all the removable parts out?

2. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

It could just maybe put padding around it like clothes or something.

3. Transporteur macrumors 68030

What are you going to to with the parts then?

Seriously, don't do it. Have you ever seen how the luggage people treat the bags? It certainly won't survive.

Why don't you just ship the Pro in its original box to Russia? That can't be that expensive.

If you really wanna take it with you on a plane, get the Mac Pro shipping box that is made for such tasks. Retails at about $500 IIRC.

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Another option would be a Pelican case if you really want to take it aboard the plane:

http://www.casesbypelican.com/apple-g5-1640.htm

As others have suggested, it MIGHT be cheaper(although shipping my Mac Pro from San Francisco to Honolulu via UPS was over $500 when I included insurance) to ship.

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

6. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

If it's your employer relocating you, negotiate for them to ship the Mac Pro for you. Don't put it through the ordeal of airport baggage handling, it's suicidal !

7. goMac macrumors 603

I'm not sure why taking it apart would make a difference. You've still got to ship the whole case, which can't be taken apart. You might as well keep all the parts inside the case.