MP config - best monitor & hard drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rkenly, Mar 1, 2008.

1. rkenly macrumors newbie

My son is at a University - major is digital animation. He's reached the point - a senior - where carrying a 1TB drive from class to lab - and then spending all day has reached the point where his "walking, talking, checkbook" - i.e. parents are willing to purchase a computer.

I'm a PC person - so I'm a little fuzzy on what to purchase - it will be a MacPro. Pretty much purchasing min config, and then adding 8GB RAM and a couple of drives. Also will be getting the 8800 video board - as he spends all of his time using Maya, Final Cut Pro, Photoshop CS3?

Questions are - the Apple Cinema 23" display "seems" to be a little dated (to me)- thinking about a different 23" or 24" Wide screen - but not sure which - thinking about Samsung245T or Dell 2407 - any suggestions or something else. (The price curve seems to indicate this size monitor)

Hard drives? - Do I just get the smallest drive, and then just copy over (I assume it's that simple) to a 1T Seagate that I will be getting, or is it better to upgrade their drive to a 750G or something (and just leaving that in place)? I will be adding a 2nd 1T Seagate no matter. (Personally, I'm particular to Seagate - been using them for a LONG time)

TIA -

>>>Rod<<<

2. mxelre macrumors member

mxelre

I dont have any mac pros' or apple display but I can tell you that apple displays are specifically made for people like your son. They are not cheap and there's a reason for that. Personally I have a samsung SyncMaster 206BW widescreen 20" monitor and it is just wonderful. However, if I were someone working in digital animation or photography or what have you I would go for an apple monitor!