MP Early 08 Raid Card Replacement

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by scottydawg, Jul 22, 2011.

1. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I have a Mac Pro Early '08 BTO that has the SAS drives and an Apple RAID card. I have a warning message that the battery has failed and I am wondering if I can do something different for a RAID card that will work with the SAS drives and be a better solution instead of replacing the battery in the Apple RAID card.
    Thanks in advance!

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Definitely.

Take a look at either Areca or ATTO for cards (much better than the Apple RAID Pro).

3. scottydawg thread starter macrumors 6502

scottydawg

Nano do you know if there is anything extra I would need to buy (cables or adapters for example) to hook up the 4 internal SAS drives to one of those cards?

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

You usually need an extension cable for the OEM fan-out cable (logic board to each HDD bay) in order to reach the card. Some have been able to connect the OEM version directly to the card, but it's going to be tight at best (seems most of the 3rd party cards are shorter than the Apple RAID Pro, so the cable is necessary).

Here's the proper version (SFF-8087 Female to SFF-8087 Male).

5. scottydawg thread starter macrumors 6502

scottydawg

Thanks for that, I am ready to dump the Apple card for sure and just want to make sure I have my ducks in a row for minimum downtime ;)