MP Early'08 Quad to Octo mod. With Pics!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ntux, Sep 1, 2009.

1. ntux macrumors member

Hi Everyone,

Just a (long) post to share my experience installing a 2nd Intel Xeon E5462 CPU inside my Early 2008 Mac Pro Quad 2.8GHz.

I know there already are guides to upgrade 1st gen Mac Pros, but I couldn't find anything for the quad 2.8GHz (and also it's an excuse to share some Mac Pro nude hardware pr0n pics :D ).

So, this is the beast with a 8800GT (with an Accelero S1 Rev.2):
    [​IMG]

That is what I'm going to install :
    [​IMG]

The first thing (after disconnecting everything) is to remove the disk drives, and remove the cover of the CPU heatsink (which is magnetically attached, pull it with your fingers from the bottom, near the logic board) :
    [​IMG]

Then, remove the front fans assembly thing by removing a screw at the top of the motherboard (between the fans thing and drive bay 1), and another one at the left of the top of the bottom CPU heatsink (the only one present in the Quad 08 Mac Pro). You can then pull the fans away.

Now we can clearly see the bottom CPU heatsink, and the dummy one on the 2nd CPU socket:
    [​IMG]

Now, I believe you could directly remove it if you have the proper tool (long handled torx screwdriver). But since mine was missing something like half a centimeter in length, and that the magnets of the CPU cover support were messing with the removable screwdriver head, I had to remove the memory cage to better access the heatsink screws (Apple also recommends it, not sure why though).

So, the memory cage is removed by unscrewing 4 screws near the logic board:
    [​IMG]
    ... and two screws at the bottom of the case ...
    [​IMG]
    ... and sliding the fan of the memory cage inside it, so you can vertically get it out of the cage of the Mac Pro (otherwise you can't, it's blocking).
    Be aware of the fan connector (under the cage), don't forget to plug it back when reassembling:
    [​IMG]

So now we have a complete access to the Mac Pro logic board, and we can unscrew the dummy heatsink. it's also time for some nude Mac Pro pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let's insert the new CPU, and attach the heatsink:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

While you're at it, don't forget to plug the heatsink thermal sensor to the logic board, otherwise I'm not sure the Mac Pro would like it very much.

But wait, isn't something wrong?

[​IMG]

That's better!

I also took advantage of having the front fans removed so I can get cables into the ODD SATA ports, preparing for the future use of SSDs in RAID0 in the bottom drive bay (not in the immediate future though, I'll wait for a serious price drop first).

Then it's time to put everything back together:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also took the opportunity to remove the Accelero S1 sticker. (What is this, a PC? :D)

And I'm happy to report that the patient has survived, and is accepting the transplant!

You can find more pics at my flickr set.

Hope you enjoyed it!

2. jamin100 macrumors 6502

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Thats pretty brave. I'd be too chicken to mess around inside a Mac Pro (if i had one) that was still under warranty. Good work though!

4. ntux thread starter macrumors member

Yep, no problems at all so far.

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Are you sure that the plastic cover between the heatsinks has to stay in there?

6. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

It won't hurt anything.

But I have a question. What the heck is this:

[​IMG]

The wide flat radiator. What's that connected to?

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

i was thinking the same thing... the 2006 mac pro doesn't have that.

8. Transporteur macrumors 68030

It's the northbridge heat sink.

9. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I thought the northbridge heatsink is that little black metal block on the left side of the picture? The 06 Mac Pro would need a northbridge heatsink too, and I remember a thread on here where somebody replaced that metal block with a nice copper heatsink and drastically lowered their northbridge temps.

10. ntux thread starter macrumors member

I originally thought it was specific to the quad, to divert the airflow to the only heatsink, but in the Mac Pro service manual Apple says to have it installed even with the Octo (my guess is to avoid having the heat of both CPUs aggregating on the top heatsink, and/or enhance airflow somehow).

11. conancn macrumors member

Where did you get the CPU and heatsink, i have a quad core as well and thinking of adding the other one.:D

12. ntux thread starter macrumors member

That's one of the main differences between the '06 and the '08 Mac Pros, in the latter the northbridge has moved behind the CPUs (instead of near the PCIe slots) and has a bigger heatsink (maybe to accommodate with the higher FSB).

A (blurry) picture here :
    [​IMG]

That's IMHO one of the reasons why the upper memory card is upside down in the '08 Mac Pro.

I bought the heatsink at AppleComponents.com (link to the right part), and the CPU from a local store that got some of them at a bargain.