Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Well I seem to have an excellent problem. I just located a MP 2.8 octo for 1900 new from apple. I have no real uses for the MP. I don't require 8 cores, nor do I need to have 32 GB of ram. I do some medium gaming, some word processing, internet and light photo work that I am getting more into using aperature. All light use, I realize I do not need 8 cores and am not trying to justify my work for a MP.

Right now I have a home built PC, my only PC left. I own a couple of powermacs (2 x dual 450's, a recently purchased MDD dual 1ghz, 700 mhz quicksilver and a 450 cube). I have a 2.4 MBP as well. All these I have accumulated for next to nothing, they have all been crazy craiglist deals. MBP 1000, MDD was 50).

I use the PC in the office, with the MDD for backup and when I want OS X. Now I have wanted to go all out with OS X for awhile, but have waited for a 2.66 first gen intel mac pro or some cheaper mac pro to use the computer components I have invested in for my PC. I have large HD's and have dual monitors.

I am thinking of buying the MP 2.8 and then stuffing it with all my HD's and using my monitors I have now. I think I could sell my 4 powermacs and the home built PC for a good amount to offset the cost of the powermac. Would be nice not have 3/4 computers and I do hang onto computers for a long time. Also would be nice to consolidate as I am moving in 3 months across country.

Ideas? Something I am missing or not thinking about?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Get the MP if you can afford it and have the space. Why not? It'll probably be still running and useful long after the iMac has blown something or is put out to pasture.

Always buy the best machine you can afford. Besides, you already have drives and monitors; why not make use of them?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
He already knows he doesn't "need" one, but if all he's looking for is a tower, he could either get a Mac Mini or Mac Pro.

I think a Mac Mini is a better deal, but for someone who wants to open it up and such, it's no good. That leaves a Mac Pro. If he wants a Mac Pro, and he has the money for it, then I think he should just get it. :)

There's no such thing as "too much computer". Don't worry about it. It's a fast computer, and you'll never feel that you need more speed. That, and it's what you want.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
You need a 20" iMac.

Low-end 24" at MOST.

I realize this, but I have displays. I have Hard drives. I don't want a mac mini, I just sold my 1.66 CD model.

iMac may do it, but I like messing around with computers. I like the ability to upgrade and not be locked into a display/processor/graphics card.

Plus the 24" imac is 1399 for the refurbished unit. For 500 more I could have a MP and keep it 2x as long.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Well I decided to pick it up and not open it, if there is such a thing.

I am going to list my computers on craigslist and see how much I can get. If it gets near the price, I will keep the MP, if not I will return/sell it.
If it doesn't work out, I think I could sell the mac pro for more than I paid for it. 1899 + tax = ~2050.

edit - Just got back and it is difficult not to open this. Its staring at me, telling me to open it.

I decided to put all my computers on craigslist and see what happens. I have two weeks. If I make enough, I will keep it and downsize to just a MBP and MP. If not, hopefully I can sell it for more or just return it, unopened.

If anyone out there is looking to upgrade from a first gen mac pro to the 8 core 2.8, please let me know. I would love to do a trade or swap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.