Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osxabsd

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
The MP "Everything Mac" manual states that the 3.5 inch internal hard drive height dimension as 25.4mm. But every 3.5 inch hard drive I have looked at lists a height of 26.1. Will this .7mm prevent me from installing it? I've looked at the OWC site at hitachi, Western Digital Samsung, etc., they all list 26.1.

I am interested in the Hitachi drives. Anyone have a comment on these, or a recommendation.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
The way the drives sit in the MP, you won't have any trouble installing a slightly taller drive in at least bays 2, 3, and 4. I doubt you'd have any issue with bay 1, either, as I've put many different drives in MP's and never had an issue.

jW

dal20402

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2006
The MP "Everything Mac" manual states that the 3.5 inch internal hard drive height dimension as 25.4mm. But every 3.5 inch hard drive I have looked at lists a height of 26.1. Will this .7mm prevent me from installing it?

The manual writers were just being lazy. 25.4 mm is exactly 1 inch.

All standard 3.5" drives fit fine. If they didn't, you would hear much more about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.