MP is acting sluggish lately...is it memory?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kitki83, Nov 26, 2008.

1. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

I am noticing my computer cannot handle the programs I use on daily basis. Also notice that loading my programs are slower too. Biggest notice of my MP being bit sluggish is with WoWLk. I really want to assume its the memory is not sufficient as before but I may be wrong and may be dealing with a more serious problem. So I posted a screen shot of my activity monitor as reference.

Thank you

[​IMG]

2. belvdr macrumors 601

You're using almost 3GB of swap and paged in/out around 4GB. I'm thinking memory is your issue. Also note that WoW is using >70% of your CPU as well. With that and all the swapping going on, your processor is getting hit pretty good too. By increasing memory, you'll lighten the swap load, but don't think there's anything you're going to be able to do about the CPU overall.

3. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok with that information whats a good increase in memory 2gb? 4gb?
    Thanks

4. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

a RAM upgrade will help, if you can add another 3gb, you say your MP is sluggish so i presume your using a mac pro in which case the RAM will need to be installed in matched pairs.
    also try using a good maintenance app maybe download Onyx it's good & free ;)

5. chipchen macrumors 6502

If you're interested... I've got a bunch of Mac Pro RAM for sale... and I live in LA too... we could work something out.