MP/ MBP/ MBA speed comparisons with SSDs

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by barmann, Dec 4, 2010.

1. barmann, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2010

barmann macrumors 6502

I've been upgrading my MacPro and MBP recently, and just got an MBA, so out of curiosity I did a few speed tests on each .

It's mainly about the use of SSDs for Photoshop, in different configurations .
    I used the 'usual' PS actions, but kept my own PS preferences, so the numbers don't compare well to the tests done with the recommended settings (but it's close).

Fwiw -->

Attached Files:

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Nice work... But what conclusions have you drawn from this?

3. barmann thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, the MacPro wins . ;)

For me it was interesting to see that I don't need to use my faster SSD Raid for scratch, I can keep it as the boot drive, which is nice .

The MBP, even with its outdated SATA I bus, gains about 50% in performance with an SSD, plus of course some general responsiveness.

It could be argued that the expense and hassle isn't quite worth the gains, but it will come in handy for RAW batch processing, which I do in my work.
    The SSD is also required to clearly beat the MBA ;) - which is astonishingly fast in some applications.

Oh - and the slowest computer has the shortest boot time ;) .

4. toxic macrumors 68000

if you're timing from power button press, that would be because it has the least RAM.

5. barmann thread starter macrumors 6502

It's all reboot times, desktop to desktop.
    Just saying that boot times are completely insignificant, contrary to popular belief .

6. rtrt, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011