MP minor upgrade/price reduction

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mogallin, Jul 21, 2008.

1. mogallin macrumors member

Ok I know parts of this have been discussed in other threads but i havent found what im looking for.

The thing is, im thinking of buying a MP, and im just wondering if there is any chance of apple reducing the cost for it or making the standard config better, within the next moths. Also, is it still a good idea to buy one, or should i try to wait untill its updated(june 09 right?):confused:

Ive already heard coments like 'buy if you must otherwise wait'.

Would be grateful for (almost) any replies.:)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No price reductions while the model is active, no updates until Nehalem.

Apple has never done it in the past.

3. dbam987 macrumors regular

Apple's quarterly earnings report mentioned something about "new product lines that competitors can't match". That might point at some new Mac hardware, possibly a tablet MacBook, or maybe even an option in a mid-grade Mac Pro that is more affordable for the masses, but more powerful than the Mac Mini.

As many have said in the past, "Buy if you need it now, otherwise wait it out."

4. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

At best, the base HDD would go from 320GB to 500GB. Not worth waiting for, IMO.

There cannot be any CPU advances until Nehalem (Intel will release no new 5400-series CPUs) and I doubt Apple will double the standard RAM.

5. mogallin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the posts guys. Just one more question( I hope).

Ive read that the next update would be either of two nehalem codenames, which I cant remember. What would be their advantage over the current ones?
    clockspeed?busspeed?cores?something else?

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

7. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

The Mac Pro will most likely use the Gainestown CPU. The two largest advantages is the replacement of the FrontSideBus with a more efficient and faster interconnect and the memory controller moving to the CPU, which will improve memory performance a good bit.

8. mogallin thread starter macrumors member

9. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Gainestown will be released in very small quantities in Q3 2008, but it'll be Q4 2008 before it's really released. So we could see a Nehalem Mac Pro in Q1 2009 or maybe Q4 2008.

Nehalem will also provide hyperthreading, which gives each physical core two "logical" cores. So even though the number of cores will stay at 4 per processor, you'll have eight logical cores per processor.