MP:Multiple HDs, when transferring files among folders they disappear

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kitki83, Jan 31, 2008.

1. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

Hello,

Basically I was working on my photography shots for my portfolio, organizing them in their corresponding folders. Then all of the sudden one folder disappeared. I look in the trash can and saw folders named recover files but nothing in them. Then I rebooted and saw the folders again but when transferring files, my whole collection disappeared and nothing I tried worked, thank goodness I had originals on flash. In case this helps my photography is kept on a separate hard drive than the system.

Why does Mac os X do this? I know its a documented bug where Finder causes files to either be duplicates (exact file name) or just make random files disappear especially when working among multiple drives, server drives or externals.

I cannot find a solution to this only people addressing the problem.

So what can I do?

Thank You
    RMN

2. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

You have multiple HD's in your MP? That's a strange story, bring it into the apple store, or connect an external HD via FW800 and move it out of one HD, onto the drive, and onto the other HD

3. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Doesn't happen all the time, but once in a while but its annoying, basically
    I work on files on 2nd, 3rd HD where I keep my work stuff. I create new folders, drop files and then seems the system crashes or just bugs out for a second then my files are either missing (can be all, some, or few) or I see duplicate files like five folders called JPGs in same directory, if I try to add a new folder then they all change names to untitled folder.

Not sure why this happens but now I am having this weird issue with Adobe Bridge that happen afterwards I had this problem last night.
    [​IMG]

When I make Bridge hide this white box shows up, if I click on it Bridge will go unhide and come back to my screen. Quitting Bridge will make it go away.

I have Mac Pro, 3 HD 1.Stock 2. 300 (100gb Win XP, 200 storage) 3. Graphic Design
    They are all 90% full, and I am running 10.4.9 had to many problems with 10.4.11.

I hope this can give clue to what is this issue common in Apple, also was well document for Tiger (massive files missing from Externals causing loss data).

4. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Strange, I'm clueless, have you thought of an upgrade to Leopard?

5. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes actually, getting family plan but I am waiting for 10.5.2 to come out and hear some reviews about it. I heard this version addresses this issue,

my theory is the computer is acting up because of limited HD space or I should transfer all files I am working on to the main HD then transfer them back when completed.