MP Quad 2.93 or Octo 2.23 ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ricko101, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Ricko101 macrumors member

Hi guys.
    I've been researching for the last couple of weeks, as well as reading this forum up and down, including the updated benchmarks for 2.23 octo previously thought to be slower ( http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7255676&postcount=148 ).

I guess my question is this: Do you see more programs/applications now available taking advantage of 8 cores more so then 1 year ago?

I'm trying to determine if the octo can give us more than the obvious and only advantages in rendering video, 3D, etc.

Many thanks

2. MitchLewis macrumors member

Here are the programs I've seen that use all 8-cores (using the Activity Monitor>History Window). Final Cut Pro Suite, Adobe CS4. But I don't "think" MS Office uses all the cores. I think they use more than one though. If you're rendering graphics or editing HD video I would go for the octo-core. Otherwise quad-core is plenty. Spend the extra money on RAM.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Well what are you using it for?

And is this an immediate purchase.

New MPs soon.

4. Ricko101 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, new MP are coming soon, that's why I'm hoping the 2009 will be discounted. I'm looking for some used ones as we speak. Hopefully they'll take a 20-30% hit once the new MPs are out.
    I use Final Cut Pro and CS4.

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Both CAN'T use 8 cores, hence the faster clocked 4 core model will fit your needs much better!

I don't know if compressor is included in Final Cut Pro (it sure is in Final Cut Studio), but that's the only program of that kind that can use the extra CPU power of the 8-core model.
    Final Cut itself is single threaded, which is why it runs faster on higher clock speeds.

6. Ricko101 thread starter macrumors member

That's good to know!
    I'm sure Final Cut Studio 4 and CS5 will be designed and optimized to use multiple cores, or is that wishful thinking?

I'm looking to get one and keep it for at least 3-4 years. One hopes that more and more applications coming out make use of multicore processors...