MP RAM: 1GB X 4 combined with 2GB X 2?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by valdore, Dec 9, 2007.

1. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I'm wondering if I made a serious mistake here. I just ordered more RAM for my mac pro, 4 GB total with 2 sticks at 2 GB each.

Then I thought to check "About this Mac" and it says I have 4 sticks at 1 GB each.

Will I be able to have 2 sticks of 2GB RAM right along with 4 sticks of 1GB RAM? Or do I need to cancel my order?

Thanks.

2. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I don't own a mac pro... but to my understanding and what i've read on here, that's fine as long as you have the slots available. I see a lot of people with 2 by 2 and another 1 for a total of 5 so I don't see why more would make a difference.. 8gb of ram is gonna be nice! :)

3. Serge N Gin macrumors member

Serge N Gin

Just found this so I thought I'd share it with you valdore:

4. valdore thread starter macrumors 65816

valdore

Thanks for the replies guys. Additionally, I found this in the FAQ at OWC's site:

http://helpcenter.owc.net/index.php?x=&mod_id=2&root=5&id=318

...so I guess I'll be okay.

5. Boemer macrumors newbie

Xeon 256bit

According to what I read, if you want have the maximum memory speed, you need 4 chips, to reach 256bit access.

You can look at the apple-store, if you configure a mac pro, and play with the memory option. When you choose 2 GB, it will give you 4 x 512MB.

When you choose 4 GB, instead of getting 2x 2GB, so you can easily append a few later, Apple is giving you 4x 1GB.

So having 4x1GB is okay, you have maximum memory access, adding those 2x2GB is probably not optimal, but it will work. And when you have extra money later or need more, than you can buy an other 2x 2GB, and you have the optimal speed again.

If you're still running Tiger, because of 32bits, you probably won't have any advantage of more than 4 GB. A friend of mine, said he couldn't use those extra Gigabytes... (He is still running Tiger...)

6. valdore thread starter macrumors 65816

valdore

I'm on Leopard now, which I have noticed tends to gobble up memory a little bit more than Tiger did. But my primary reason for wanting more RAM is because I use Aperture a lot, which is a complete memory hog. Photoshop can be almost as bad sometimes.

7. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Here are the suggested layouts.

-Kevin

Attached Files:

8. valdore thread starter macrumors 65816

valdore

Thank you. Took me a minute to decipher it but I now know exactly where to place everything when the new RAM arrives. :)

9. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

As you can see you want to make sure you put the largest DIMMS closest to the motherboard. So your 2 X 2GB will sit alone on the top Riser, slots 1 & 2.

-Kevin

10. akadmon macrumors 68010

I bought my MP with 4 512Mb modules from Apple and filled the rest of my slots with 1 Gb modules . I keep hearing that's not optimum, but I'd be damned if I'd be able to notice the difference. And frankly, it's all just talk anyway -- I haven't seen any real world data showing that a MP configured the way mine is is any slower than one configured with same size modules.