Mp Sold!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UltraNEO*, Nov 27, 2008.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yeah, recently I sold my MacPro minus the HD's and all the RAM! Anyway, I managed to get three months life outta the MP before selling it. At the end of the day, I somehow managed to break even as it's sold near to cost. Not sure was it a good move... I originally thought about upgrading to the faster 3.2, hopefully slashing seconds off the time for rendering stuff.

However, now I feel Apple might be launching an update soon possibly with the Core i7's? Does anyone have a rough idea when this alleged update is due? Is it after the new year, mid February or will it be March?

Currently, my dated MBP2.2 is taking the full-load!! And Jesus, it's sloooooow!! Where's the damn TURBO button? :D

2. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Cool, I think selling it early is a good idea.

But I would have waited at least a month, till Jan 1st.

The earliest I think it will come out will be right before they next macworld.

It maybe a bit farther off though.

I might sell mine when rumors start coming out and it gets closer to macworld.

I may end up keeping my system though, feels like I just installed the 3870 and I am getting more RAM for X-mas, so it does not feel quite right selling it.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

Be aware that if a new Mac Pro is released there is a good possibility that your RAM will not be compatible with it.

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

If the update is anything significant, it most definitely won't be compatible.

5. Horst Guest

Yummy , cheap Ram on ebay oming up ! ;)

6. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

Very true since it will then be DDR3 standard!

7. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I'll start selling the ram now if I were you. A lot of signs point to DDR3 ram being used in the new mac pro.

For the update, I think you'll be waiting till February at least. ;)

8. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

You sold at the perfect time, good work there, just wait out for the i7's to be launched and then you'll have a true speed demon on your hands...

9. kabelabs macrumors newbie

maybe with the money you can make from selling the fb-dimms will help to pay for part of the DDR3 ram. I wouldn't think they'll support cheap ram if they go ddr3, take a look at the prices for ddr3 8500 /1066 server ram. on crucial it's about 100 bucks a gig. i would imagine the switch is gonna be just as pricy.
    plus, buying it in matching 3's will be a treat, especially if you look at the prices for 4gb modules. 12gb will cost ya about 1200 bucks. with those kinds of costs, i would hope overall performance of i7 will be 40%+, because that'd match the ram price.

but thats all speculation, until an i7 mac pro comes around, it's all just talk.

10. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

40% performance increase is not unreasonable and very likely will be the case. It'll just be in certain multi-threaded apps.

11. kabelabs macrumors newbie

like in benchmarks apps.
    real world will be the proof in the pudding, and thats yet to be seen.

here is straight from intel. they yielded a 40% gain in video rendering with the i7. *

oh, there is an asterisk...
    hmmm. look a little closer.

‡3 Performance based on Pinnacle Studio 12 Ultimate* test results, comparing Intel® Core™ i7 processor to the Intel® Core™2 processor Q9650 and Q9450. Actual performance may vary

actual performance may vary.

reminds me of the infomercials where they have people talk about how much money they make working from home, then at the end of the ad it says in small letters

professional actors used, actual results may vary.

i'm sure there will be a performance gain, but not to the magnitude people are dreaming up. is it real to think that fcp will see that big of a gain without a 64bit rewrite? compressor? shake? motion?
    i think maybe 10-20% tops in the real world, unless you're using pinnacle to do your video rendering.

on paper it sure sounds good, but read some of the little writing at the bottom. if all you do is run benchmarks, i'm sure you'll be really pleased.
    If you depend on it for production, right now it's not gonna help you, and until it is actually released and stable, well, the jury is out.

http://www.intel.com/consumer/learn/desktop/corei7-detail.htm

12. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Thanks, I've thought about that too! However the price they were offering here in Japan, is a little ridicules. I think only a complete moron would be part four sticks of Crucial 4Gb ECC PC2-6400 modules for 20~30% of it's cost! And with lifetime warranty, they're practically new! So, NOWAY!! :p

Have you seen the going rate for those? Sure there's tons of 2Gb floating about for cheap but if you wanna reach 18GB and above, you must have a couple of 4Gb in there somewhere!! Seriously, I'd sooner post it for bidding on fleaBay or Y! Auction (Japan). Or perhaps keep them till I get back, buy another machine (when the price drops ) then use'em myself :D

13. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Totally off topic, but where are you in Nihon Ultra? My Kanji is pretty weak, and I can't figure out what city you've put by your Avatar. I wanna say Shi-something.... I lived for a few years near Nagoya and Kanazawa.

Let us know when (if) you post your 4GB sticks, I plan to top at 16GB the cheap way with 2GB sticks, but if the deal is good on 4GB I'd be interested.

14. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Ah, it doesn't say what city I'm in, just tells you I'm in the Kinki Region.