MP Still laggy on 10.6.3

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by multimania, Apr 5, 2010.

1. multimania macrumors member

Hi guys, I'm still finding my MP to sometimes lag in the finder windows especially when just started up, or selecting the MobileMe icon on the top of the screen. Maybe its just me, but the machine just doesn't feel as fast as Leo on simple finder tasks, my redraw of jumps a little whenj resizing windows.

Any ideas?

2. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Do you have a problem with your internet connection. Mine used to lag sometimes when I had a poor connection over WiFi, maybe software update checks when starting up.

3. maghemi macrumors 6502

4. multimania thread starter macrumors member

Thanks both for your replies - yes I've been doing some tests, and I think it may be - it seems to be the wifi reception seems to cause gui lag. I read somewhere that some MacPros have the Bluetooth and Wifi wiring round the wrong way... I'm not going to fiddle around in there though - but I an wire a cable to the machine so I think that's what I'll do.

5. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Try running wired Ethernet and see if it improves. You could also try specifying an alternate DNS server to see if it your ISP's DNS server that is a problem. I use OpenDNS.

6. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

Are you using the 32 bit or 64 bit kernel?

try booting into which ever one you're not currently using and see if that does anything.

7. multimania thread starter macrumors member

Hi guys, I've followed a bit of advice here and have had some success. I have set up opendns and unless I'm being illy, it seems to have sped up the web somewhat - is this possible?

I have also booted into the 64bit kernel and this also seems to make a difference. The reason I have seen this is that this afternoon I had to do some work (unfortunate, as it's my home machine!) Everything felt quite snappy.

The other thing I did was log out of MobileMe - that felt to me to be the biggest change in performance. I'm not sure why?!!

8. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

How do you boot into 64-bit Kernel?