MP to MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sinn., Mar 9, 2008.

1. sinn. macrumors member

Hey everyone. I am/was a 3d animation student, I have recently switched my major back to graphic design. I purchased a quad core (new model) MP for my 3d animation but now switching to graphic design I do not need all of that power. I don't even think the adobe software (except for after effects) can use more than 2 cores. My question is should I sell my MP and buy the new MBP. Ill list the pros and cons of switching.

Pros-
    Mobility (could take it to class)
    Smaller - more desk space
    Cheaper for things like ram
    added to my current display (dual display)
    better graphic card

Cons-
    HD space
    only 4gb of ram max (is that the max for photoshop too?)

Any advice would be great! Thank you!

2. jfull15 macrumors 6502

I say trade the MP for the MBP, the pros far outweigh the cons, and you can buy an external HD with the extra cash that will be leftover from the switch.

3. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

I'm no graphic designer, but two of my best friends are, and from what I've heard a desktop with a big display is best for doing design. So maybe if you do end up switching to the MBP, you should think about getting a bigger external display and a mouse/keyboard combo.

4. jfull15 macrumors 6502

right, you could have both a desktop and a portable.

5. sinn. thread starter macrumors member

I have a Dell 22" right now. My thoughts are if I got the MBP I would buy the bluetooth mouse. I would probably get a 5 in 1 USB splitter, then have all of my external and desktop stuff plugged into the 5 in 1, that way when I go from portable to desktop I just have one cable to plug in. I hated with my old laptop having plug and unplug everything. Whats the going used price for the MPs now?

6. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I'm an animator and use Illustrator, Photoshop, Flash, Poser, Painter X, Toon Boom Studio, Cinema 4D, Shake, and FCP on my MBP. Granted I don't do any heavy rendering or HD video, but for everything else, my MBP works perfectly.

I think if you are needing the portability, then yes, go for the MBP. Your MP is fine for your needs as well, but fails miserably in portability factor hehehe. So, if you are certain you are no longer needing to do heavy rendering in 3D, and the portability factor is a concern, then go for the MBP. It won't let you down. Good luck in your decision. :)

7. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

That's what I have - Bluetooth mouse and a 4 USB port that I got for about $15 at a closing CompUSA. Simple and easy. :D

8. sinn. thread starter macrumors member

my one concern is the CPU. I will be going from a 2.8 quad to a 2.5 duo. I will be shooting for this:
    2.5ghz
    15"
    250GB HD
    4GB Ram

9. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

10. sinn. thread starter macrumors member

only other question i have is 15 or 17? the extra res from the 17 is really tempting. When hooked to a monitor is the 15 still 1440 x 900? also seems weird that the 15 cant do 1680 x 1050 at most?

11. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

the 15 can run a 22inch at it's native res of 1650 by 1200 or whatever it is. I know because my ran my 22 at it's native res just fine.

I wish they had a high def model of the 15inch though. I'd love a 1650 by whatnot option on the 15inch :)

12. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I went for the 17" model. While it's not as portable as the 15", the two inches don't make a big difference in weight for me, and I'm a pretty small person in size. I connect to a 22" Samsung when at home for even more screen real estate, but since everything I do on my laptop is visual, I like having the bigger screen, even when on the go. I use a Brenthaven backpack, which makes carrying it even easier and protects the laptop well. Good luck :)

13. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Wrong. MP has a faster default graphics card (especially in Core Image)

Photoshop can use at least 8 GB of RAM, probably more.