MP wanted but what is the best approach?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by OatmealRocks, Jun 19, 2010.

1. OatmealRocks macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Currently I have MBP which I love. I do photography and the 25mb RAW files takes a while to render so I am looking at getting a MP. I would like a substantial jump in performance. Why not an iMac? I want to have the expansion capability for 3-4 - 1/2 TB drives and possibly a SSB as the OS drive in the future.

I know an update is coming soon which I am looking forward to.. not because I can afford the bump in specs but hoping a better value on purchasing current MP.

I notice 2008 MP with 2 - QUAD 2.8 on this board and some have even over clocked the computer. I was not aware this is even possible.

Which is better? 2008 2 - QUAD 2.8 or 2009 1 - QUAD 2.66? In terms of performance are they both about the same because of the virtual core on the 2009 cpu? Could I also overclock the 2009 MP? Will heat be an issue. would I need to get a better heat sink for the 2008 or maybe a aftermarket for the 2009?

I would like best bang for the buck as this is something I will be using for a while. Like I said before future upgrades will NOT be CPU but SSD and storage to 4TB or more. Also I would upgrade the video card as I see fit.

If the 2008 2 - Quad 2.8 is better value, what should I expect to pay for this used? Gonan look on eBay..

Thanks

2. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

The 2008 Mac Pro works just fine with image editing. I've got image files up to 208 MB and there is no slow down in rendering whatsoever. But I've also got 16GB of memory which helps.

Mac Pro processors are not "desktop" processors and are not meant to be overclocked. Do so at your own risk.

Personally I'd never buy someone else's used computer.
    You can get very good deals on refurbished Macs at the Apple Store.

3. OatmealRocks thread starter macrumors 6502a

Topper,

Thanks for hte info. What do you mean non-desktop CPU?

Also does the Apple refurbish store still sell 2008 mac pros? Are is this something I have to keep an eye on? If not is there a site that lists all the refurbish items from Apple?

thx

4. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Yes

From time to time you will see 2008 mac pros going on apple's refurb site. More speaking of the 3.2 Harpertown. I had the 3.0 which I sold and went with a Nehalem, as realizing going forward that nehalem is the future, FOR NOW!

5. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

First of all, it looks like I am wrong.
    Intel makes what they call desktop, mobile, server and workstation processors.
    Used to be that the "desktop" processors could be overclocked which gamers appreciated.
    Looks like the 2009 Mac Pro processors can be overclocked with something Intel calls "Turbo Boost." I don't even know what that is or how it works.

As Roman23 says, the online Apple Store sells refurbished 2008 Mac Pros from time to time.
    Refurbished Apple Computers

6. Vylen macrumors 65816

Sorta right, sorta wrong.

Yea, Mac Pro's use the Server version processors called Xeons, and Intels latest processors have "Turbo boost" technology which is a self-regulated thing - you don't have control over it compared to "normal" overclocking with Desktop processors by enthusiasts.

In multicore processors with TB (Turbo boost, not tuberculosis :p ) if the thermal and electrical limit is not reached (say, due to underused cores) the cores that are being used are slowly overclocked till the thermal/electrical limit of the system is reached.

The concept is similar to dynamic cpu throttling - how when a CPU is under-utilised, to save power the CPU's are throttled down. Now, with TB, if a CPU is being pushed, but under-utilising power, its throttled up.