MP will not start (almost). Any advice?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gxgn, Nov 23, 2012.

1. gxgn macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a 2009 2.8 quad MP, 16GB. For the last 3-5 months my computer is very reluctant to start.

I have to press the start button once, keep it pressed a bit, hear a little click noise, release the button, press it again and keep it a bit longer and then it will start.

It doesn't matter if it's a cold start or a wake up from sleep - same issue.
    I did try to reset the NVram, SMC, unplug etc. It doesn't work.

Has anyone else seen this issue?

thanks
    George

2. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

3. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

I agree: power supply. Can you take one from another Mac Pro to test? (not an easy thing to switch, but cheaper than bringing it to an Apple Store)

Loa

4. gxgn thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish I had a way to test it. I don't know anyone else with a MP and I live pretty far from the store.

5. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

Excuse me if I am mistaken, but can some Mac Pros boot without a graphics card? I know you can't use the machine when it is running "headless" but it would reduce the load on the power supply significantly and be useful as a test.

Disconnect any non-boot drives and take out the graphics card temporarily and then see if it starts up and shuts down more reliably. Then put the graphics card back in and see if there is a difference.

Is this a case where the Apple Hardware Test would be useful once the machine has actually booted?

Details : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

6. El Awesome macrumors 6502

El Awesome

You can actually use another device to Remote-control the GPU-less Mac Pro to check if it works.

7. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

Replacement PSU for the Early-2009 seems to cost about £180 plus shipping on the UK eBay site and there are vids around to show removal.

Since you are out of warranty, that would be one option. The other is to make a non-AppleCare appointment in a major Apple Store and ask for a quote.

8. bax2003 macrumors 6502a

bax2003