MP: worst built-in speaker?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bigbird, Feb 19, 2008.

1. bigbird macrumors 6502

My new MP has the tinniest, pathetic, low quality speaker I have ever heard in any Mac. Fortunately, I've got a good set of speakers hooked to it now. Is it just my MP or do others have a pathetic internal speaker?

2. Yaris macrumors regular

I doubt anyone really needs to use the internal speakers. They're pretty much only there for the BONNNNGGGG sound. I'd rather spend money on performance than internal speakers :).

3. stealthninja macrumors member

stealthninja

not that it matters :D but i'm pretty sure the mac mini has the same speaker

4. wpattison macrumors member

wpattison

Way back in 1984, Steve Jobs had Apple buy out a Taiwanese firm that specialized in hi-fi speakers back then. They had already made about 30 years worth of inventory, so they are still using them up. It's lent an air of familiarity to Macs over the decades.

Of course, I could just be making that up. :D

5. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

The internal speaker is really just for system sounds.

6. aibo macrumors 6502

non-issue for 99% of us, i think. even if it had iMac-like built-in stereo speakers, the majority would still hook up externals.

7. astroboi macrumors member

I just got my first Mac Pro, and coming from the PC world I was amazed at how good the sound quality from the internal speaker was. The installation video even played it's sound through the internal speaker - and sounded half decent. Most PC speakers are only good for the beeps to tell you the computer has started up.

8. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

very funny indeed :D

I was planning to hook my macpro to a decent set of spekers when I fanally decide to go and get it. I think most owners that need decent sound do the same.

9. supercooled macrumors 6502a

I think it sounds too good for just the BOOOONG sound. It's comparable to the MBP speakers, imo.

10. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

First thing I ever do is hook my computers up to my decent stereo amp and speakers. Never ever use internal speakers.

On the same subject I was pleasently surprised by the Aluminium iMacs built in speakers though. They are quite nice.

11. skagen5555 macrumors newbie

i hooked mine up to some z-5500s via optical. Fantastic!

12. ntux macrumors member

:D

13. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

my performa tower that was my first mac (in 1996) that had a built in subwoofer still had the best sounding start up chime i've ever heard.

14. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I have these speakers! They too will be connected to a mac pro, if I can convince myself to go ahead and order it.

15. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

I wish the start up BONG sound would come through my 5.1. It would sound insane if that was cranked. lol :)

16. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

installing sound card in MP

Speaking of sound in the Mac Pro...would buying a PCI(E) sound card work in a mac pro. I am talking about using it just in Windows for 5.1 sound. Something like this.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102017

Also, if this works would PCI or PCIe be the way to go?

17. gothamm macrumors 6502a

this thread is disturbing.

dudes, fellow mac fanboys....just admit that the speakers aren't that great.

18. aibo macrumors 6502

admitted, though i think it's just 1 speaker.. lol

19. itou macrumors regular

what's wrong with it? most PC's just have a buzzer built-in.
    of course, i'd go with external speakers, but it's nothing to cry foul about.

20. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

the startup sond sounds very ugly with this speaker. It's the only sound I allow the internal speaker to play.

This means I agree that it's not a good speaker. Much worse than those of the iMac

21. Bubba Satori macrumors 601

Bubba Satori

The sound on the HP laptops with the Altec Lansing speakers is pretty good. Maybe Apple will include something like that in the future.

22. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

heh, i do audio - i remember on g4's they had slightly nicer speakers - in fact they were awesome for checking if a mix would sound good in mono on a cheap/small radio! i always checked my mixes through them

the g5/mac pro speakers are useless though, ha

23. chakosticks macrumors member

I for one actually bought the Mac Pro only for the speaker and discarded the rest.

24. bigbird thread starter macrumors 6502

That's exactly what I'm talking about. The startup sound is really tinny and lame. I disabled the internal speaker in system prefs and only use an external stereo set.

25. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Agreed-- Aluminum iMac speakers are great-- especially if your previous mac was a G4 ibook. The Al iMac speakers are like a pair of expensive studio monitors compared to ibook speakers....