MP2.8 quad-core to 8-core boot drive swap?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by aqwhiteh, May 1, 2009.

1. aqwhiteh macrumors newbie

I recently ordered my first Mac Pro, a quad 2.8 off the Apple store refurb section. Spent 3 days loading software, patching Logic Studio, etc, and used it for 2 weeks before deciding I needed 8 cores (my wife wouldn't agree with the word "need" but oh well.) :D Apple graciously accepted the return and even waived the normal 10% restocking fee, and I ordered a refurb 8-core, which I just received.

Can I simply move the boot drive over and take advantage of the new cores? Or is there a requirement to start with a fresh drive so it can "build" itself for 8 cores. I don't want to move the drive only to find it senses a major hardware change and refuses to boot or worse, becomes unuseable in the original 4 core so I cannot use the Migration Assistant, although I have a Time Machine backup so all is not lost.

Anyway, hoping a 2 minute drive/RAM swapping exercise is all that is required... anyone have experience with this?

2. aqwhiteh thread starter macrumors newbie

boot drive swap success

I could have mentioned all hardware was the same between the quad and 8-core... but at any rate, I gave it a shot and everything seems fine. Just had to authorize the new machine in ITunes and also re-enter my sn# for Logic Studio... works!

3. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I had the same question when I upgraded my 2.66 2x2 to a 2.66 2x4 (from 4 to 8 cores {5150 --> 5355}) and everyone told me it didn't matter - you can just clone the boot drive and have it work. It worked in my (slightly different) case - no problems.