Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
MouSSE has over 7,000 users, so it's a reasonably-proven product. I assume "I tried it with DosDude's patcher" means you got the latest version of his patcher, and installed the SSE4.2 patch during installation (which installs MouSSE)? I assume that "and with MouSSE" means you installed MouSSE per the instructions in the first post of this thread (i.e. you linked it into the kernel)? When you get an error message, there is usually a "Report..." button in the window; if you click that, you'll be presented with a lot of information about what happened. Please copy/paste that information and post it here (inside a {code} or {spoiler} tag, if it's long).

If you're trying to boot with both the 680 and 480 installed at the same time, you're unlikely to succeed - AMD and Nvidia cards don't play well together.
No, I swap cards. I know, that even using a HD5770 with RX480 will not work anymore.
The patcher, I (still) use, has an option to directly patch the AMD driver. I used that and it failed. Then I reinstalled OSX and tried MouSSE. It loads, I don't get an error and still that also fails, when I swap in the RX480.
Dosdude's patcher using MouSSE seems to be something new.

So, can anyone of the 7000 users help me?

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
Try downloading the latest version of the patcher from dosdude1.com, and install using that. The Dosdude patchers have included MouSSE for over a year now, since shortly after I released MouSSE. Check the options in the patcher/installer toolbar to verify that SSE4.2 support is being installed (on a MP3,1 it should automatically be installed by default). Some earlier versions of the Dosdude patcher included the Netkas SSE4.2 patch, which only worked on certain early versions of Mojave.

When you reboot after a "failure" and get the "something bad happened last time" message, please click the "Report..." button and upload the results here. That would be extremely helpful in diagnosing your problem.

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
Try downloading the latest version of the patcher from dosdude1.com, and install using that. The Dosdude patchers have included MouSSE for over a year now, since shortly after I released MouSSE. Check the options in the patcher/installer toolbar to verify that SSE4.2 support is being installed (on a MP3,1 it should automatically be installed by default). Some earlier versions of the Dosdude patcher included the Netkas SSE4.2 patch, which only worked on certain early versions of Mojave.

When you reboot after a "failure" and get the "something bad happened last time" message, please click the "Report..." button and upload the results here. That would be extremely helpful in diagnosing your problem.
I did that via his patch updater in the system control panel.
The message, I mentioned, is the one if you cut the power and then reboot. You get the message, that your computer crahsed and whether you want to open all your programs or not.
My best guess is that rEFInd Plus is screwing up my screen or something.

Dayo

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2018
My best guess is that rEFInd Plus is screwing up my screen or something.
I assume you actually mean "RefindPlus".

What I can see is:
  • You tested Mojave, Windows and Linux while running RefindPlus with a GTX 680 and everything was fine
  • You changed the GTX 680 for a RX 480 while keeping everything else the same and Mojave stopped working
  • You then concluded that this issue is most likely due to something with RefindPlus
It may well be that RefindPlus is screwing up your setup but before reaching that conclusion, you should have verified that Mojave works with your RX 480 in the first place since that was what you changed in a working setup as there is otherwise no basis for that conclusion.

As you are using a DosDude Mojave installation, you could easily disable RefindPlus and try booting into Mojave directly with the RX 480. If you end up at the login screen after a while, then you will know that Mojave works with your RX 480 when RefindPlus is not in the picture.

If this is the case, open up an issue on the GitHub repo for investigation.

Last edited:

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
I assume you actually mean "RefindPlus".

What I can see is:
  • You tested Mojave, Windows and Linux while running RefindPlus with a GTX 680 and everything was fine
  • You changed the GTX 680 for a RX 480 while keeping everything else the same and Mojave stopped working
  • You then concluded that this issue is most likely due to something with RefindPlus
It may well be that RefindPlus is screwing up your setup but before reaching that conclusion, you should have verified that Mojave works with your RX 480 in the first place since that was what you changed in a working setup as there is otherwise no basis for that conclusion.

As you are using a DosDude Mojave installation, you could easily disable RefindPlus and try booting into Mojave directly with the RX 480. If you end up at the login screen after a while, then you will know that Mojave works with your RX 480 when RefindPlus is not in the picture.

If this is the case, open up an issue on the GitHub repo for investigation.
Yeah, thanks. About the only thing I didn't try, yet.
What is your experience with RefindPlus? Did you have similar feedback, yet?

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
@Dayo, you are right. It isn't RefindPlus.
I get a signal (monitor doesn't turn off), but the screen is black.
When I booted with the GTX680 back in, the message was, that I turned off the computer without shuting it down first and if I want to open all the applications.
I get no error popup at login. @Syncretic: Is there something I can look up in the system log, to help diagnose the problem?

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
I get no error popup at login. @Syncretic: Is there something I can look up in the system log, to help diagnose the problem?
Open up the Console app, click on System Reports (on the left), and look for reports with date/time stamps that roughly match when your boot occurred. (The report names contain _YYYY-MM-DD-HHMMSS_ timestamps.) Look for reports with names ending with "panic" or "crash" or similar; we're not interested in ones that end with "analytics". If you find one or more such reports, attach them here (either upload as text/zip or copy/paste into a message).

Failing that, please run kextstat | grep -v apple in Terminal and paste the output here.

Petri Krohn

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
The Dosdude patchers have included MouSSE for over a year now, since shortly after I released MouSSE.

Someone asked for my help online in installing mouSSE on a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mojave, so he could install a Radeon RX580. Turned out that the system already had version 0.92 of mouSSE installed, as is included in the latest versions of the Mojave Patcher, but the RX580 would not work.

I told him to do a fresh install of Catalina with Dosdude's Catalina Patcher. I do not know what the problem was with Mojave, but with Catalina the Mac Pro worked perfectly!

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
Output of kextstat:
Code:
Index Refs Address            Size       Wired      Name (Version) UUID <Linked Against>
   16    0 0xffffff7f80d15000 0x2000     0x2000     com.parrotgeek.SIPManager (1) 1BC5A61A-2433-3048-B975-26131D7AD82B <8 6 5 3 2 1>
   17    0 0xffffff7f80e84000 0x5000     0x5000     AAA.LoadEarly.MouSSE (0.92) 11941EE9-30DC-3ADF-9F7E-ED0FA7324A30 <8 6 5 3 2 1>
  157    0 0xffffff7f83a77000 0x77000    0x77000    com.eset.kext.esets-kac (680.00.10f01) 37A62525-5F6A-3E1A-991F-12495360230D <6 5 3 1>
  159    0 0xffffff7f83af3000 0x12000    0x12000    com.eset.kext.esets-pfw (680.00.10f01) F291D244-2D7B-3762-B307-523440C3C306 <6 5 1>

I seem to have crash in MTLCompiler and Windowserver, cf. attached crash logs.

Attachments

• MTLCompilerService_2021-01-21-181657-1_Mac-Pro.txt
    41.8 KB · Views: 167
  • WindowServer_2021-01-21-181657_Mac-Pro.txt
    55.9 KB · Views: 87

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
@JoSch
From what you posted, MouSSE seems to be loaded, which is good. The MTLCompilerService process is dying, which in turn is killing WindowServer. I don't see any indication of an invalid instruction, which suggests that MouSSE is doing its job and probably isn't at fault.

MTLCompilerService looks like it's blowing up with AMDBronzeMTLCompilerPlugin loaded - this might be a big clue. Before MouSSE existed, Netkas had manually patched one version of Mojave's AMDMTLBronzeDriver, and Dosdude included it in at least one of his releases. That version worked, but the problem is that it only works for one very specific version of Mojave - if you update Mojave, or any of the other AMD driver files change, that driver blows up. Netkas didn't keep patching every updated driver version, so that solution became a dead end.

If you somehow have an old Netkas-patched AMDMTLBronzeDriver installed, that could explain what you're seeing (and what I'm seeing in your logs). If you have access to another Mac with the exact same version of Mojave as your MP3,1, you could just copy the AMDMTLBronzeDriver file from that system and re-link the kernel. If that's not an option, or you're not 100% sure it's the exact same version, I'd suggest reinstalling Mojave - and when you get the installer booted (before the actual installation), open up a shell and delete the AMDMTLBronzeDriver plugin on your system, just to be sure it's gone.

The file in question is /System/Library/Extensions/AMDMTLBronzeDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AMDMTLBronzeDriver. To re-link the kernel (assuming you're not doing a full reinstall), use kextcache -i /. If you're doing a full Dosdude reinstall, be sure to check the box for "Force Cache Rebuild" after patching but before the final reboot.

Also, the latest version of the Dosdude Mojave patcher is 1.3.7 - if you're not using that version, I suggest you download 1.3.7 from Dosdude's web site. If you have older versions of the Dosdude Mojave patcher on your system, you should delete them (or archive them - just make sure the executables aren't readily accessible, so that they can't accidentally be run during the reinstall).

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
@JoSch
From what you posted, MouSSE seems to be loaded, which is good. The MTLCompilerService process is dying, which in turn is killing WindowServer. I don't see any indication of an invalid instruction, which suggests that MouSSE is doing its job and probably isn't at fault.

MTLCompilerService looks like it's blowing up with AMDBronzeMTLCompilerPlugin loaded - this might be a big clue. Before MouSSE existed, Netkas had manually patched one version of Mojave's AMDMTLBronzeDriver, and Dosdude included it in at least one of his releases. That version worked, but the problem is that it only works for one very specific version of Mojave - if you update Mojave, or any of the other AMD driver files change, that driver blows up. Netkas didn't keep patching every updated driver version, so that solution became a dead end.

If you somehow have an old Netkas-patched AMDMTLBronzeDriver installed, that could explain what you're seeing (and what I'm seeing in your logs). If you have access to another Mac with the exact same version of Mojave as your MP3,1, you could just copy the AMDMTLBronzeDriver file from that system and re-link the kernel. If that's not an option, or you're not 100% sure it's the exact same version, I'd suggest reinstalling Mojave - and when you get the installer booted (before the actual installation), open up a shell and delete the AMDMTLBronzeDriver plugin on your system, just to be sure it's gone.

The file in question is /System/Library/Extensions/AMDMTLBronzeDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AMDMTLBronzeDriver. To re-link the kernel (assuming you're not doing a full reinstall), use kextcache -i /. If you're doing a full Dosdude reinstall, be sure to check the box for "Force Cache Rebuild" after patching but before the final reboot.

Also, the latest version of the Dosdude Mojave patcher is 1.3.7 - if you're not using that version, I suggest you download 1.3.7 from Dosdude's web site. If you have older versions of the Dosdude Mojave patcher on your system, you should delete them (or archive them - just make sure the executables aren't readily accessible, so that they can't accidentally be run during the reinstall).
Ok, I reinstalled Mojave already, but I will try with the newest patcher version.

JoSch

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2013
Ok, I reinstalled Mojave already, but I will try with the newest patcher version.
Ok, deleting the AMD drivers seems to have done the trick. Before, I already installed MouSSE via Dosdude's patcher update and reinstalled Mojave, but with deleting the drivers before the install, the Login screen came up and all is well.
I get a whooping 20sec on the BruceX, which I never could see with the very same card on High Sierra.
Thanks, @Syncretic for the tips and MouSSE. Thanks, @Dayo for Refind Plus, it makes my life a lot easier.

PS: As backup, I have an HD5770 single slot card and the three slot monster of a GTX680. The HD5770 is easier to store, and really suffices when something goes wrong. The GTX680 has Metal, but takes more space.
Any thoughts on which backup card I should keep?

Last edited:

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
Hey, just bought an MSI RX 560 for my 3,1… will this work with it? Thanks
There's no reason it shouldn't, assuming you're running a Polaris-compatible version of MacOS (High Sierra or later, I think). If you're using a @dosdude1 patcher, that's the simplest way to install MouSSE. If not, the first post of this thread should be at least somewhat useful. Remember to provide power (or ground) to all the external power connectors (if any), or you risk damaging your GPU, your Mac, or both. If you're running Big Sur, I'm told that MouSSE works with it, but I haven't tested it myself.

Reactions: Larsvonhier

christiann

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2020
North America
There's no reason it shouldn't, assuming you're running a Polaris-compatible version of MacOS (High Sierra or later, I think). If you're using a @dosdude1 patcher, that's the simplest way to install MouSSE. If not, the first post of this thread should be at least somewhat useful. Remember to provide power (or ground) to all the external power connectors (if any), or you risk damaging your GPU, your Mac, or both. If you're running Big Sur, I'm told that MouSSE works with it, but I haven't tested it myself.
Thanks! I bought an MSI 2GB so should work, I'll probably patch w/Mojave so I do not have to do it myself. Also kudos for the guide, very thorough, I read the post several times before I even bought a card ?

Sebasboy

macrumors member
May 20, 2019
hello good day. im trying to install this using the manual method on a late 2009 27 inch imac with a 6970m.

the imac works perfectly with sierra and older but if you boot high sierra. it wil get stuck on the boot screen. i can load in safe mode.

ive been trying to install this and i get the error "invalid signatured" when i try to redo kextcache and it does not seem to load when i run the stat command thats included in the zip.

any tips?

christiann

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2020
North America
hello good day. im trying to install this using the manual method on a late 2009 27 inch imac with a 6970m.

the imac works perfectly with sierra and older but if you boot high sierra. it wil get stuck on the boot screen. i can load in safe mode.

ive been trying to install this and i get the error "invalid signatured" when i try to redo kextcache and it does not seem to load when i run the stat command thats included in the zip.

any tips?
This is for Mac Pros and others. Check your model. Use the dosdude patcher for Mojave if you need it

Last edited:

Sebasboy

macrumors member
May 20, 2019
This is for Mac Pros. Use the dosdude patcher for Mojave if you need it
the first post stated this is also meant for the 10,1 imac.

anyhow. how would i only get the post install patcher? i dont want to run mojave on here since the 5 and 6 series card have no acceleration in mojave and up.

christiann

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2020
North America
the first post stated this is also meant for the 10,1 imac.

anyhow. how would i only get the post install patcher? i dont want to run mojave on here since the 5 and 6 series card have no acceleration in mojave and up.
make a macOS USB and click on post install but your OS may not work with it, upgrading is better

Sebasboy

macrumors member
May 20, 2019
make a macOS USB and click on post install but your OS may not work with it, upgrading is better
if i upgrade there wil be no graphics acceleration because it is a 6970m. i put a mid 2011 gpu in a 2009 imac. i'll give mojave/high sierra patcher a shot and manual post install patch it

Sebasboy

macrumors member
May 20, 2019
Welp
Used Mojave patcher post install to install the emulator on high Sierra and it still quits booting and getting stuck in this...
I don't know if the emulator actually loads considering it doesn't show up when you boot safe mode and if i boot normally I can't get into the os all.

Attachments

• 723B5AA2-43AA-41DB-9F5E-0C6D65F420D0.jpeg
    723B5AA2-43AA-41DB-9F5E-0C6D65F420D0.jpeg
    835.7 KB · Views: 83

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019

any tips?
First, I don't recall the High Sierra AMD driver using SSE 4.2 (although I haven't used HS for a long time, and I could be mistaken). If that's the case, MouSSE won't help you.

Second, as noted in post #1, SIP needs to be disabled. "Invalid signature" is one of the problems you'll encounter if you try to install MouSSE with SIP enabled.

If you think MouSSE will be helpful to you, try disabling SIP before installing and re-linking the kernel.

Sebasboy

macrumors member
May 20, 2019
First, I don't recall the High Sierra AMD driver using SSE 4.2 (although I haven't used HS for a long time, and I could be mistaken). If that's the case, MouSSE won't help you.

Second, as noted in post #1, SIP needs to be disabled. "Invalid signature" is one of the problems you'll encounter if you try to install MouSSE with SIP enabled.

If you think MouSSE will be helpful to you, try disabling SIP before installing and re-linking the kernel.
Yeahif i run csrutil status its flagged as disabled

Syncretic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 22, 2019
Yeahif i run csrutil status its flagged as disabled
I just looked again, and I'm 99% certain that MouSSE is not required (and therefore not useful) in High Sierra, at least for the AMD video drivers.
Since your system is supported, I was going to suggest you ask in the High Sierra forum - but it looks like you already did. Hopefully those folks can offer some insight for you. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.