Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
i have a fairly large mp3 file, around 90 min and would like to break it up into smaller segments. whats a good FREE (would be nice) program for os x that would let me do this? :confused:

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
You could Sound Studio that (might have) came with your computer.

I think if you get an eMac, iBook, or iMac you get it free; don't know about the PowerBook or PowerMac though.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
jtkellertx said:
Avoid that program at all costs. It needs serious stability re-enforcements.

Like some of the above posters, I recommend Sound Studio as well. Even though the latest version is a beta, it's still fairly stable (wayy more than Audacity) and even better than the 2.1 release. Oh, and if Sound Studio does crash on you, it somehow saves all your already open files to your Hard Drive. So if it crashes, upon relaunch, Sound Studio will give you a "recovery" pop-up window that tells you that the program restored your open files right to your Hard Drive. Take that (again), Audacity! Also you can use Sound Studio for recording incoming audio as well. Take about 5 minutes to get used to how recording works, as well as the input levels, and about 20 to 30 minutes getting used to the settings and editing user interface.

Sills

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2004
another good utility is Cacophony i find. it saves all formats and all that stuff. it is shareware though, which means you'll have to wait 5 seconds when it starts up to use it. besides that, its a good program. ( cant remember the site - google :D )

hairy_brute

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2004
If you are just splitting up an audio file and it's an mp3 you can use .cue files and these programs.

Cue-Maker
Cue-Splitter
http://www.gritsch-soft.com/

It takes a few minutes to learn how to use them, but they are pretty straight forward. One thing to remember is that when you are splitting, I think the .cue file has to be in the same folder as the mp3 fothe cue-splitter to work. Anyways, good luck.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
I'm going to throw in my vote for Audacity, listed & linked above. It does crash occasionally on me, but overall I've been happy with it. It is a good basic audio editor, and it's free!

Lee Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.