mp3 editing software for osx

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jonathanbruce, Jul 16, 2012.

1. jonathanbruce macrumors member

hello everyone!

im looking for advice on what is the best mp3 editor to use on my new MacBookPro 13" 2.9i7 8gb ram. 256gb ssd.

I am confused over whether I should look at Logic Pro 9 or something a little cheaper, such as WavePad or Audacity.

I do use Sibelius 7 Pro on my laptop and many other apps but am looking mainly for mp3 manipulation and multitrack capability.

i would be very grateful for any feedback before I buy anything

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Have you tried to see if GarageBand suits your needs?

3. cmdrmac macrumors regular

Would you mind answering what level of experience you have? GarageBand is a great solution - if you're not looking for something at the pro-level. However, it is a very capable solution.

4. moongravy macrumors member

moongravy

The request's a bit vague. What do you want to achieve & why are you looking for an alternative to Sibelius?

For MP3 editing, I use Fission. It allows editing of lossy formats without re-compression.

Basic audio recording/editing is taken care of by Amadeus Pro. This also has multi-tracking abilities, but I've not used this side of the application very much. It's a grown-up Audacity, much nicer to work with.

Garageband is not at all bad. It's basic but good. Audio editing features are poor though.

n-Track Studio is a cracking multi-tracker that I used on Windows a decade ago. There is now a Mac version. The MIDI/soft-synth side was never great, but it may have matured in the years I've not been using it.

Tracktion is useable (takes a lot of getting used to though) but may be EOL - it hasn't been updated for quite a while.

All worth a look depending on what you need. Logic wins, though I wouldn't describe it as an MP3 editor.

5. jonathanbruce thread starter macrumors member

Hello. Thanks for replies. I'm an intermediate user. I have used Audacity for editing mp3 tracks in the past (editing out noise) but now need something a bit better and also better at exporting to mp3. ( I found the mp3 extension, awkward to download and install for audacity) What is the industry standard ?

6. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I use Amadeus Pro from time to time, I'm not sure it will fit your needs.

7. pianojoe macrumors 6502

pianojoe

You are aware that editing is best done lossless? Lossy compression should be the last step. Or are you just editing tags?

8. jonathanbruce thread starter macrumors member

I'm not really using the software to edit tags. No.
    I'm using it to edit mp3 files to clean up mp3 recordings. The recordings are being used by Zoom H4n Recorder.

Using midi and being able to create music this way would be a bonus, especially since I have a Korg M3-88 keyboard.:cool:

9. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I'm not really using the software to edit tags. No.
    I'm using it to edit mp3 files to clean up mp3 recordings. The recordings are being used by Zoom H4n Recorder."

My opinion only, but if you're creating your "source files" in mp3, then you're doing it "wrong from the start".

Your original material should be recorded in (at least) 44.1khz/16-bit "aiff" format (or "wav"), edited in full, uncompressed format, mixed down the same way, and only then should your "final mix" be compressed into mp3 format (for distribution).

10. jonathanbruce thread starter macrumors member

hello.

i understand your valid point.
    I am already recording them into .wav format onto sdcard

So i will be editing in .wav before saving as .mp3

I'm assuming that what ever software I use I will be able to plug in my DAT recorder and/or my MiniDisc recorder and directly record into .wav format for editing before burning to cd.