Mp3 Editor?

Squire

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Hi.

I'm looking for a program that can slice up audio files into separate tracks. Any recommendations? Let me explain what I'm doing first:

I want to convert some cassettes to mp3 format. I've hooked up my stereo to my Mac by running a stereo cable from the "phones" jack to the "audio line in" on my iMac. I've also downloaded a freeware program called LineIn. After that, I fired up GarageBand and started recording. However, the process gets a little tedious at this point. GarageBand stopped recording after about 5 minutes (don't know why) and, if I continue this way, I'll just end up with a huge audio file; I'd like to break it up into tracks.

I'd appreciate any help in streamlining this process.

Thanks,
Squire

Squire

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
iLikeMyiMac said:
Did you try SoundStudio?
Thanks for the quick reply. No, I haven't tried SoundStudio...yet. It looks pretty good but I was hoping to get by without spending any money. By the way, how's the quality of music tracks recorded from, say, LP using SoundStudio? Just curious. (I'm only transferring spoken content, not music, so quality is not a huge issue.)

Squire

Comment

Squire

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
GeeYouEye said:
Audion has a waveform editor. You could try that.
Thanks. I'll give it a try. The price is right, too.
I also noticed that the price of SoundStudio is reasonable when you download the academic version.

I'm still open to more suggestions.

Squire

Comment

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
You could use a freeware program like AudoRecorder (from Version tracker).

It already makes the files either .mov or .mp3 and you just hit pause in-between songs. Failing that, you could import the entire huge song into iTunes, and use it to split the tracks, naming each one accordingly. It would also store them into the correct locations on you HD when finished.

TEG

Comment

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If you've got Garageband, you could give that a try. It's a bit messy for mp3 splitting though, so don't go out and buy it specifically or anything.

Comment

Squire

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Logik said:
How does a free audio editor sound?

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

this is exactly what you want.. if you know enough about using a sound editor this bad boy will do it all for ya
Thanks. I came across that before I posted this thread but, obviously, didn't read enough into it.

TEG said:
You could use a freeware program like AudoRecorder (from Version tracker).

It already makes the files either .mov or .mp3 and you just hit pause in-between songs. Failing that, you could import the entire huge song into iTunes, and use it to split the tracks, naming each one accordingly. It would also store them into the correct locations on you HD when finished.

TEG
Okay. Now I feel stupid. Are you saying iTunes can do what I want? Please tell me more. (A search in iTunes Help didn't give me anything.)

And did you just change your avatar like, 30 seconds ago or am I going crazy?

Squire

Comment