MP3 Encoder Info

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BoogieTrain, Sep 15, 2009.

1. BoogieTrain macrumors member

Hello. Im looking for software thats not iTunes that can tell me which encoder was used to create mp3 files. The best program for this that i've found is dbPoweramp. It displays all sorts of info about any audio file by simply hovering or right clicking and going to properties.

Looks something like this for those whom are unfamiliar:
    [​IMG]

i like to compare various versions of mp3s to find the one encoded closest to my preferred settings and bitrate and especially the encoder are the main elements i look at. Once and only once i know which files i want to keep, do i import them into my itunes.

I have installed a program called mp3info but as far as i can tell, it does not display encoder information.

2. BoogieTrain thread starter macrumors member

bump. I dont even need something as extensive as dbpoweramp, the bare minimum that i need to know is Encoder/version and bitrate (including CBR, VBR, or ABR).

I currently have to unmount my external hdd, connect it to VMWARE, use dbpoweramp, eject it, and reconnect it to my mac, just to look at some files. WAY too much work, in fact its preventing from actively organizing my music.

Anyone have ANY suggestions?

3. BoogieTrain thread starter macrumors member

It does not even have to be a shell extention or anything. Even a multimedia player that when you add to a playlist or even the library can display the encoder as one of the information columns.

I find it had to believe that no one here has any interest in knowing the encoding used for their mp3 (and don't flame me with the "you should be ripping or buying your music from stores that have constant encoding).

I would make an playlist in itunes except for the fact that 1) i'd have to manually check each file individually, and 2) my itunes with 3500 songs @ 24GB has horrible UI lag (for what reason, idk)

3days w/o a reply, and now I'm on the 2nd page of threads, which we all know no one checks. I don't mean to sound bitchy, but when simple threads like "how do I install apps" gets a dozen replies in a day, its a bit frustrating for me, who is kind of waiting on an answer, seeing that the manpower we have is going toward answering something that can be simply googled.

4. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

There's a ton of audio apps on this page. I'm not sure if any do what you need, but take a look. I'll post again if I find anything else.

http://www.pure-mac.com/audio.html

5. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

how about this one? I haven't tried it, but it looks promising.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/audio/mp3infocmm.html

EDIT: I realize now that's the same one you have already. Question, if it's a good bit rate, why does the encoder matter? I know LAME is supposed to be "the best" but can you really hear a difference if LAME encoded it or Quicktime?

6. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

So I emailed the maker of mp3infoCMM. Here's the back and forth.

So I asked him to email me when it was done. I'll post back here when I get that email, or you could keep an eye out for a new version. Here's his email address if you want to second that feature request <ndoerner@cdfinder.de> (or first it since it was your idea and I just played like I wanted it since it was easier to email that way).

7. BoogieTrain thread starter macrumors member

wow, thanks cawesjmu! I can't believe that you actually e-mailed the dev, and that he also agreed to implement that feature. If it works, it will be exactly what im looking for and will save me tons of time.

With regards to encoders, yes LAME is considered the "best" but with the exception of a few audiophiles, im sure almost no one can hear the difference between 192 Blade and 192 LAME.

The way I see it, LAME is considered the best for a reason, it is open source, and has been optimized by dozens and tested extensively (i don't know if this is the reason, but it comforts me). The real "problem" exists when you run into a file that has an "Unknown Encoder" and one that was encoded with the "Xing mp3 encoder". Unknown is just iffy, who knows what it is/what has been done to it (though in most cases its fine), and Xing is notorious for being the worst.

In my case, I have multiple versions of much of my music already on my computer. Now that im actually trying to delete duplicates and organize my music rather than just collet it, I'd like to compare the files and decide which i want to keep, I have LAME and Blade at the bitrate, ill keep the LAME. And if its only something i have once, ill check it to make sure its a decent bitrate and LAME, if not, ill look for it. I guess im just a big LAME buff, and i like to keep things consistent.

But yeah, please post back when and if the program gets updated! +rep :)

8. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

squeeky wheel, right?

He was very responsive and seemed very happy to help. He said he enjoys feedback very much. Do you have any other ideas to add to the list of feature requests?

If you're willing to wait for the update. I'm not sure how long it'll take.

Will do.

Side note: I was looking through my 'encoders' and I have some from 'iTunes v.3' I thought wow that was a while ago.