mp3/m4a in iTunes library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Frits, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Frits macrumors member

Hi,

I don't know whether this can actually do any harm, but it's strange anyway. In my iTunes library, some music files are listed by iTunes as AAC files while others are listed as MPEG files. When I go to home/music/itunes/itunes music, and look at the files there, the same files that are AAC's in iTunes are listed listed as being m4a and the MPEG's are mp3's. Now, I guess that the difference is that iTunes just shows the container format, so that might be normal (?), but why do I have both mp3 and m4a in my library. Around half of my albums are one type, half the other, and all songs in one album are the same type.

Thanks in advance,
    Frits

2. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

Well, my guess is that you've bought some albums in iTunes which are all encoded in AAC, and you've probably imported some of your CD's in mp3?

It really depends on what your import settings are at and where you're getting your music from.

Edit: To further clarify AAC = m4a (mpeg 4 audio) and mp3 should just say MPEG audio.

3. Frits thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick response.

I either rip from CD or download (torrents mostly). That could indeed be it, I never change my import settings or anything, so I thought iTunes would automatically convert downloaded mp3 stuff to AAC to. Also I don't always dl mp3 stuff, sometimes it's other formats, so I'd think that when it imports that, it would just convert it to AAC, not mp3.

Frits

4. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/525.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/1.0.154.48 Safari/525.19)

Thanks for putting me out of a job, thief.

5. Frits thread starter macrumors member

Lol.. welcome to the digital age.