Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DjChrisChip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
NYC
Hi guys brand new to forum,

I currently own a Macbook Pro (pre unibody 17") 2.6 ghz, 4 gb ram, with a 2 tb western digital premium edition II external hard drive for my audio files. (mostly .mp3 <few aac>) and a 1 tb western digital studio edition external with my music videos. These are filled 1.1 tb and approx 800 gb respectively. I am currently using a program called Serato with its VSL plug in. (in case anyone was interested.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a program that would allow me to accomplish the following.
Analyze my files on my externals . Find the duplicates n "copy" the original file to a "new" seperate external hard drive bought for this purpose. I would hope that it would look amongst all folders not simply based on file name because sometimes i do have more than one version of songs.

Any help would be super appreciated and I definitely apologize if this has been discussed before. If anyone is in NYC area and can help with the situation I would in turn be glad to hook them up at any spots I or any of my friends dj at.

If anyone has any insight i can be reached at djchrischip@verizon.net, in this thread, or bbm pin24A71F0A.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Finding duplicate files is always a pain. I too am a DJ, and I have a PC, a Mac, and a laptop at work where I sometimes also download music to. In addition, I have a NAS server at home, and I have 4 external drives that all have some sort of music on them. Fortunately for us, there are now 1.5 terabyte external drives available.

What I would do if I were you, is buy a huge hard drive, such as a 1.5tb external. Then, copy ALL your files from all of your sources onto this ONE drive so you have a CENTRAL place with all the files.

You could copy ALL the files into the same folder on the new external drive. I'm not sure how many mp3 files you have, you may run into some OS limitations as to the # of files allowed in one folder, but if you dump them all into the same folder you'll be able to quickly identify duplicates.

I'm not sure if there are any good "tools" out there. the mac user base relies heavily on itunes and itunes does not have anything like that, but on the PC there are a lot of good utilities for finding duplicate mp3 files.

Someone could get REALLY rich if they came up with a file manager tool that could load the directory structures from ALL Your computers and your media and store it in a central database so you could easily find stuff and keep track of everything. I wish I could program I would be rich right now with all the ideas I have for life-improving productivity apps.

DjChrisChip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
NYC
hey rob dude u should look into this tidy up maybe we can use it simaltaneously. it seems promising. it is a mac program.

btw where u dj at n what kind of music u spin?

ok so i found this tidy up version 2.0.2 application. Like I said it looks promising however have a few questions if anyone has ever used it before please hit me up thanks.

here are the links if anyone knows how to use them or wants to try and learn them with me,

http://www.hyperbolicsoftware.com/TidyUp.html

http://www.woodenbrain.com/sw/iDupe/idupe.html

ok so now having given up on the tech support at tidy up v2...

I researched and found dupin an itunes duplicate finder.

So Now I am in the process of copy n pasting two hds onto my spare 2tb external,
I will then add them as a separate library into itunes,

After this I will use the program to find doubles, and do its thing"

However first I am waiting on an email back on two questions I have for them.

1. I want the program to search by all criterias it currently does and also, by file name...(not sure if that is possible though)

2. I want to know if it also does a byte by byte analysis to make sure they are exact doubles n not different versions.

neelamsaxena

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2010
I ran into a problem of duplicate files and someone told me about [url="http://www.dublicateFilesDeleter.com]www.dublicateFilesDeleter.com[/url]

Mav3067

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2009
Canada
Duplicates

Hey guys,

I am currently working on cleaning up duplicate .mp3's as well. I basically had 4 hard drives from 3 PC's that I am merging onto my new 21.5" iMac.

As you are both DJs I am assuming that the track and artist information that you have is fairly complete, does this not make it easier to find the duplicates using iTunes built in duplicate finder?

I am also interested in the exact criteria that you would like to be able to use to filter the duplicates as I may end up writing my own program to deal with my library.

Cheers, Mav

jyotidayal

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
I ran into a problem of duplicate files and someone told me about [url="http://www.duplicates-finder.com]www.duplicates-finder.com[/url]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.