mp3 Name Changing Files.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Superman199, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Superman199 macrumors newbie

I'm new here, and this is my 1st post, so go easy!

I'm a DJ so my music collection is an anal subject to me. I have all my music named a certain way (mostly Artist - Title, or in cases of Albums: Artist - Album - Track# - Title) Everything is done this way.....

anyways, as of recent, even before Snow Leopard, i've been having some of my files change names automatically for no reason. For example, i saw it change in front of my own eyes:

The Supremes - Where Did Our Love Go.mp3
    Changed to
    THESU~2.MP3

I saw this one happen after i deleted a different file... When i went to rename the file, it told me the name was already taken and to choose a different name. After restarting, the name change was still there. Can anyone figure out why this is happening?? Thanks in advance!! :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you already have a file in that folder with the same name, it will automatically create a unique file name, since you can't have two files with exactly the same name in the same folder.

3. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Do you use iTunes and allow it to control the files?

Could be a possible reason, though I've never seen my iTunes re-name files like that, it mostly keeps everything as: track# - SongTitle.mp3

4. Superman199 thread starter macrumors newbie

But there isnt another file named that.... it changes the file name, and i can't seem to change it back

No, iTunes isnt organizing my music either... it's not even open when it happens

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Are you running Windows in VMWare or Parallels?

I've only seen older versions of Windows truncate names down and throw a ~ and a number on them...

Like:
    Code:
    02/25/2009  11:58 AM             4,055 [B]WHITEL~1.TXT[/B] whitelist.txt
    01/23/2009  12:39 PM             5,687 [B]WMIVBS~1.CMD[/B] wmi.vbs.cmd
    01/23/2009  12:19 PM               536 [B]WMIPRO~1.VBS[/B] wmiprocesslist.vbs

6. Superman199 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Where is this happening at? Are you in finder seeing this? Are you in another program?

8. Superman199 thread starter macrumors newbie

In finder... sometimes it'll happen when i wont see it too...