mp3 on NAS server.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by svedekim, Feb 28, 2011.

1. svedekim macrumors member

Hi guys, I have a 2010 mbp + 80gig SSD So there really no room for MP3s-

I have a WD world edition nas, when I use it as Itunes server it only shows music as a list ( cant see covers / albums) Only an LONG list of songs.
    Also I cant sync the files to my ipod, nor add them to playlists.

Is there any way for Itunes to "use"it like en external hardrive?

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

assuming you have copy ... when adding enabled in preferences > advanced, drag the content from the NAS into an open iTunes window while holding the option key.

iTunes will reference the path to the location of the original files (the NAS), but not copy them physically to your specified iTunes folder location.

if you want to play the media located on the NAS, make sure it is mounted before you launch iTunes.

3. svedekim thread starter macrumors member

Thanks alot, I'll give it a go. I have "copy when adding" dissabled. Does that mean I wont need to hold options-key?

4. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

yes.

holding option does the opposite of what's been set in preferences > advanced.

5. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

Something you might want to think about (depending on how much you used your DVD) is to rip out your DVD drive and carry it as an external DVD drive.

I did this and now I have a MBP with a 128 GB SSD boot drive and a 1TB Standard HD for storage. Works great and I always have my DVD drive in my laptop bag for emergencies.

6. svedekim thread starter macrumors member

Works like a charm, but takes alot of time...

Is there any where to find a guide to swap the DVD for a HDD. I probably used my DVD twice. so extra storage would be MUCH appreciated...

7. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

I bought one of these products an OptiBay they come with a picture guide on updating, you can also use the iFixit guide for replacing a DVD drive in a MBP as it is 95% the same.

Edwin