MP3 player what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macdoofus, Mar 23, 2010.

1. macdoofus macrumors member

Eveidently my perfectly honest post was moderated by some kind of moderator. Hilarious. I asked about MP3 files and the post was deleted. wow.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You must have asked about pirated content or tools of disable DRM on protected content. iTunes will play non-DRMed MP3 files. So too will the QuickTime Player. This is why you see so little action in third-party MP3 players on the Mac. Here the action is in converters and editors.

But for pirated content, Mac users tend to be less tolerant of overt discussions of it.

3. macdoofus thread starter macrumors member

MisterMe, thanks for your time. Actually, no, I have MP3 files ripped from owned\paid for CD's. I buy my content, never pirate, I don't go that way. I just want to click on a desktop folder and play my owned content. Considering that, how do you play an entire folder, outside of iTunes? A simple player is all I need. QT would otherwise do, but it doesn't open folders?
    Thank you.
    Cheers

4. nutman macrumors regular

vlc will probably do it. if you're on a mac, why not use itunes.

5. macdoofus thread starter macrumors member

nutman, thanks. Because I don't want crap loaded in my iTunes library. I want the extremely lowest overhead most simple one-button player that plays an desktop folder. I don't want iTunes for playing a simple 8 song playlist. I've never gotten VLC to work nicely and do not want it at all, as it seems un-friendly at best (3rd time user). I just need a very simlple player that plays mp3 dektop folder in one click. I need a Winamp style radio player, click on a folder, play folder one-click. Is it wierd to ask for this on Snow Leopard?
    Regards,
    MacD

6. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

RE:
    "I've never gotten VLC to work nicely and do not want it at all, as it seems un-friendly at best (3rd time user). I just need a very simlple player that plays mp3 dektop folder in one click. I need a Winamp style radio player, click on a folder, play folder one-click. Is it wierd to ask for this on Snow Leopard?"

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but VLC notwithstanding, I'm thinking that the application you're looking for doesn't exist on the Mac side of things - at least not with the "function" you're looking for.

I can't think of any Mac applications (at least the ones that I have) that "open [all the contents of] folders" - that is to say, click on a folder, and it automatically opens ALL the enclosed files.

Rather, "opening" things on the Mac is "file-based", not "folder-based". You open a folder to access files, then open the _files_.

I think you're going to have to go with iTunes and its "playlist" concepts, for this kind of functionality. If I'm not mistaken, you don't have to import the "content" of your mp3's into iTunes to get it to work - this can be setup through iTunes' preferences. Rather, you just import the headers (file info), which iTunes then sorts out in its database. I should say that I, too, am not a big fan of iTunes, but it has its uses.

I can think of another way to do this, if you have something like Roxio's "Toast" (any other 3rd party CD burning application would probably do a similar job). It's a bit "kludgy", but it works:
    - For each "folder" that you wish to be able to play, open Toast and choose to create an audio CD
    - Arrange the songs in the Toast document as desired.
    - Save the CD file (don't burn it).
    - When you want to play the "folder", click on the icon for the Toast CD file.
    - Toast will open with the songs all lined up.
    - DON'T burn the CD. Instead, just click on the first song to play it (you can play the songs in Toast without burning them). When the first song is done, play will continue through the second, third, etc. - all the way to the end.

You could even gather up all these faux-CD files in one location, so they'd be easily available for launching. In essence, they will become "playlists" without iTunes.

Of course, the Toast application will open up onscreen - just choose to "hide" it and the music will continue to play...

7. interconnect macrumors regular

interconnect

Check out Vox it's a lightweight little player that just simply rocks.

[​IMG]

8. macdoofus thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Fishrrman.

interconnect, THANKS! Vox is exactly what I needed. I dragged a folder ontop of Vox and Bingo, it loaded the playlist and started playing. I thank you very much! :D

9. macdoofus thread starter macrumors member

Since updating to OSX 10.6.3 I've had many audio program problems, and now Vox is unresponding, bouncing in dock. Are your your audio programs ok after updating to 10.6.3? Vox is a beautiful program and my complaint is not with them. It seems wither I have a wierd OSx problem, or the latest OSX update is a hassle and I miught have to rollback. Anyone?

10. macdoofus thread starter macrumors member

Nevermind, I reinstalled Vox again. There is some wierd going on with OSX 10.6.3, it's messed up too many of my audio programs to deny, at leat on this Late 2009 21.5.
    Vox is a great program.