Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lanark1440

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2011
I recently bought an 8GB Sansa Fuze for my mom to host 6.5GB of audiobooks on it - she doesn't have a computer, so I was just going to set it up on mine (24" Mac desktop running 10.6.7) for her to use. I had read in a number of forums before buying this thing that you could hook it up to a Mac without too much trouble - basically using it like an external drive.

I've had a ton of problems trying to get the Fuze to work well with my Mac (as far as reading and ordering the files correctly). In a Fuze forum I was told to find Mac tagging software in the "ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1" version. Originally I was laundering the mp3s through iTunes, but the Fuze is getting hung up on something upon startup, and the suggestion was the tagging may be the culprit (dragging the files directly to the Fuze from the desktop does not allow it to recognize them at all, FYI).

I investigated and found that iTunes has the mp3s in question tagged ID3v2.3 ... so is the problem with the "ISO-8859-1" part? And if so how can I remedy that? (can I remedy that at all?) Supposedly Fuze cannot read Unicode, which the other forum members say is my main problem.

The player WANTS to work with Windows Media ... I remember back in the day I could run a version of WM on my Mac, but this doesn't seem to be an option anymore.

Sorry for the novel and thanks in advance for any help!

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
This may be a dumb question, but your audio book files are in a format that the Fuze can understand, and the filenames do end with the correct filename extension (e.g., ".mp3"), right?

My guess is that your v2.3 tagging is fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.