MP3 tagging software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hamsterburger, Jul 18, 2007.

1. hamsterburger macrumors member

I´m a recent switcher and am looking for a MP3 tagging and organization software. I have been using Softpointer´s Tag&rename for Windows. Are there any MAC programs that have the same features and ease of use?

Thanks

Hasterburger

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. hamsterburger thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I do use Itunes as my primary mediaplayer, but it does not have a lot of tagging features.

Tag & Rename for example, has many editing features that simply are not avaliable in Itunes, like the ability to get tags from filenames, change filenames and change the case for entire albums with one button, etc.

So are there any MAC programs out there that have further features for editing MP3s than Itunes? Or will i have to dualboot with windows?

4. EngBrian macrumors regular

I used to go on this guys blog (keynote2keynote.com) before I switched and he listed programs that were helpful and other tricks. Anyway he used a program called ieatbrainz (http://musicbrainz.org/). I haven't used it myself but I guess it is supposed to fetch ID3 data for your songs and generally clean up the tags.

Hope that is helpful.

5. Optimus Rhyme macrumors regular

I use musicbrainz, but be careful. It doesn't get all the tracks correct, so make sure they are the right one before you let it correct the ID3 tag.

6. EngBrian macrumors regular

Ya I finally used it for myself last night and found the same. But also found a lot of my tracks were incorrectly labeled so all in all it is useful but definitely confirm all of it's corrections.

7. hamsterburger thread starter macrumors member

Hi. I thought I’d try and revive this old topic in hope of getting some new suggestions. I still haven’t found an MP3 tagger that comes close to Tag & rename so now I tag my music on my pc and move them to my Mac. Not very practical.

I have over 100GB of mp3s and Itunes just isn’t up to the job.

Beefs with Itunes:
    Lots of my music is old, non-English language music. I’m frequently ripping music from my LP collection and need to manually input tag info for long out of print old records, something that would be quite a chore to do in Itunes.
    I also like to manually add cover info from my own scans.

Another problem is the lack of ability to change case and auto number tracks.

With the growing number of people using Macs now you’d think someone would have made a quality tagger program for advanced users?

Anyone know of any? :)

Edit: Yeah, I tried musicbrainz. Not really satisfied with it. But thanks for the suggestion guys

8. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I'm not satisfied with tagging software on OS X either. I used The Godfather back on windows, and while there was a bit of a learning curve, I became very fast at tagging lots and lots of files.

To me FreeDB lookups are critical, and iTunes didn't have the search/replace features nor the ease of multiple updates I found elsewhere.

One promising solution is Musorg but it's only at 0.2.2 and is a bit buggy and unfinished. I'm hoping that spreading the word will get more people interested in it and spur on the developer(s).

AFAIK, it's designed to be simple, light-weight and fast; Has FreeDB searching, and replace tokens for renaming.

Another more developed program is TriTag at 0.8, and does about the same thing. It's UI isn't as streamlined, but it does the job.

HTH

Oh, and both are open source.

9. MarkR macrumors newbie

The MP3 tag editor I use is ID3 Editor. It is very simple to use and works great.

10. hamsterburger thread starter macrumors member

D3 Editor hardly does any more than Itunes. And it cant edit filenames and folders.

TriTag also did not seem to offer any more features, and can't even edit albumart.

Musorg however, does seem like the beginning of somthing good.
    Musorg lets you
    -search through your music finder-style
    -rename files and directories
    and the interface looks good!

It does lack many importent features that im used to from tag&rename. Shame its so unfinished, I shall keep an eye on it though.

Thanks for the tip guys!

Edit: seems Musorg does not have an album edit feature after all. Too bad. Heres hoping it gets better.

11. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Musorg lets you edit art? I think I missed that, but it sure would be a feature I'd use.

12. simonmac2 macrumors newbie

mp3 tagging software

I agree that Tag & Rename is really a powerful app. I usually use the amazon lookups rather than the freedb function and get fantastic accuracy. The renaming functionality is superb and as a step before loading mp3's into itunes, it really pays off in having a well organised collection. Nothing in the Mac world seems to get even close. It is one of the 2 reasons i have parallels (other being visio) on my MBP

I've emailed the developer tag-rename@softpointer.com to ask if he has any intentions of porting or even an X version available.

The key thing for me (which no other app does AFAIK) is the multiple db lookup function. ie amazon us, uk, germany, japan etc - this is a brilliant option and makes finding the album tags so much easier.

FWIW

Simon

13. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I find myself in the same boat - a long-time Tag&Rename user with no similar product on the OS X side of things.

*sigh*

14. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Good news for all you people who love Tag & Rename!

I just downloaded it and was successfully able to install and open it using Darwine (it allows some Windows apps to run in Mac OS X). It worked fine and I had access to all my music, tested it with a song and it even saved the tags right. ^^

15. m750 macrumors newbie

always amused

I'm always amused when people suggest using itunes for editing tags...
    Having been a long time mp3 tag and rename user, itunes just lacks the features I need to manage my library. Not to mention it creates tags that do not conform to id3 standards...
    http://www.id3.org/Compliance_Issues

With that said, I too have yet to find anything that really works, and plays well with itunes. I kinda hate the way itunes locks you in... It's so easy to get your filesystem / files out of sync with itunes, if it is not used as the system of record. Very annoying.

16. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Sorry Mac folks, iTunes isn't even close to tag and rename. Love iTunes but it sucks for tagging.

I have been on the same search. Not very pratical for converting in windows then bringing it over.

karenflower

I am new to Mac, how did you get it to work?

Thanks

17. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

You can download Darwine from here: http://www.kronenberg.org/darwine/, all you need to do is open the .dmg file and copy the contained folder to your hard drive.

Then you can download Tag&Rename here: http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

Open WineHelper from inside the Darwine folder you copied, and drag the TagRename.exe file to its icon in the Dock. This should open the installation window, and after it's installed the program will automatically open.

To use it after that, just click on WineHelper and select Open from the Applications menu, and TagRename.exe will be in Program Files/TagRename.

I'm pretty sure most of the functionality is there, but the layout confuses me lots so you'll have to try it yourself and make sure. :)

18. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Karen...

Sweet!! Thank you very much. Going to try it first thing when I get home!!!

19. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Karen..

Thank you for the tip and it works great!!!!!!!!!!! Question? How do I get it so I don't have to enter everything when I start up tag & rename?

Thanks again

20. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Yay that's great! :)

Do you mean the installation screen? You can bypass that by opening WineHelper on its own, and selecting Open from the Applications menubar. It should display the pretend C Drive directory, and you need to look for the TagRename folder where the main tagrename.exe file is situated. Then you can open straight into the program without it asking to be set up again.

21. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Media Rage does everything related to tags. It's got a fully functional 7 day demo and it's pretty cheap to buy.

22. live4ever macrumors 6502a

23. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I'm a big fan of Media Rage. I used iTunes a lot of the time, but it can't do everything.

24. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

I tried a few mac programs and wasn't happy with them. I bought id3x and it sucked. I ended up just using my registered copy of mp3tag studio in windows via bootcamp. I just move everything over to my windows partition and do my thing there, then move it back. I have registered copies of tag studio and mp3trim, both of which are superior to anything I've found for the mac. So I'll continue to use them until I do. I also like EAC/LAME for ripping CD's.

25. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Have you tried media rage?

Yeah, that's what I use too, mostly because of its great reputation. Fyi, there are tons of ways to rip using LAME on the mac.