MP3 Tagging

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SilentGreg, Jul 22, 2008.

1. SilentGreg macrumors member

I know this question has been asked to death, but what is currently the best MP3 tagging software for OS X? That is, still updated and supported. I would prefer something free but I wouldn't mind spending a few bucks for a decent application that does the job well. On Windows I have used MP3tag for a little over a year and love it.

iTunes doesn't count -- it's nothing compared to MP3tag and the like.

Thanks for any help!!

EDIT: Yes I have searched the forum, sadly everything seems to be outdated.

2. drfp25 macrumors member

3. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I don't know about "the best" since its relative, but I use musicbrainz on every OS I use

4. SilentGreg thread starter macrumors member

They both look great, thanks guys. Any other recomendations?

5. krye macrumors 68000

krye

What do you need to add to an mp3 that you can't do in the info pane in iTunes? Just curious.

6. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I know that I personally would very much like to be able to tag some of my albums as Explicit, but this cannot be done manually through iTunes. The only workaround I've found is encoding the songs as m4a instead of mp3 and then using metax to tag them as explicit. I hope someone can throw out an idea, or write/point me to a script.

7. SilentGreg thread starter macrumors member

I like having full control over my music. While using mp3tag to edit the ID3 tag information, I can clear out everything and then mass tag the files by reading the file names (Artist - Song Title) and insert that into the tags. After inserting the artist and song title, I go back and edit the album and then album art. Everything else is erased and removed from my ID3 tag information, nothing else is kept. :D

I guess it's more of an OCD thing (runs in the family, ya know...) as I have complete control over the music.

I'll have to start looking into some of the suggestions later this week.

Thanks again!