Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trefis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
usa
I've been converting my albums and cds to a music folder on my pc ms2000 pro with current version of itunes. I currently have 32 gig of mp3 music. Thanks to the forums all the problems except 1 seems to have been taken care of.

The problem I have now is that the albums(from vinyl) and older cds; the album/cd name is not being listed, new cds do have the album/cd name listed under the album column. Looking at the xml also shows this to be true.

The structure that I have gotten to understand is: top folder contains all music folders and files, next is artist folder, next is artist album/cd folder, next are the music files - mp3 tracks.

What am I missing? Do I just live with it and manually enter in some 500 names or is there another setting I need to do in itunes?

Thanks for your help!

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you want to do. But I suggest not to touch the file names or folder structure. Edit the id3 tags inside iTunes and choose "Keep music folders organized". That's easy and works great.

trefis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
usa
Cinematographer,

Thanks for replying. When I set 'keep ..organized' this is what happens:

i.e. under my music folder is the subfolder '10,000 maniacs' it has 3 cd folders in it, each of these folders has tracks

when in itunes I 'add folder' it lists each track in the names column correctly, it lists 10,000 maniacs in the artist column correctly and leaves the album name column blank

when I look at the music folder itself, the folder 10,000 maniacs no longer has 3 subfolders each named with the cd name but 1 folder marked unknown album with all the tracks listed in it

with 'keep... organized' not flagged the itunes issue remains the same the 'album name' column is blank but the 10,000 maniacs folder is correct with 3 folders each named correctly

The problem is the blank album name and this seems to only show on older music. I appreciate you answering. Thank you, Hope you had a good christmas.

krose0307

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
Northern Virginia
You can fix this in itunes easily. Just select all of the tracks from that album, right-click on them, and select 'get info'. This will allow you to enter in the album title for all the tracks on that album.

If you have 'keep music organized' checked it will automatically update the folder structure as far as I know.

trefis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
usa
nmaed album/cd title manually - 3 days

I ended up having to manually enter in the titles of albums/cd names. Having to do this for 548 names was not good. The impression I got was that the load statements for Add folders go back to some file that has the original entrys. Since I have a ms 2000 pro os, itunes is using the auto fill in function and reading the file what name ? where is it located ?. I ended up on numerous fighting with it to enter the name I wanted, but by starting by entering space then the name then erasing the space it would keep the name.

I had to do each folder by itself so I would know what music went with what cd name. I also had to keep the 'keep music organized' unchecked or it would take over an undo what I had done.

One other thing I think would be good if there was a flag that stopped the automatic going to get artwork before it even knew the name of the cd because with so many cd names needing to be entered going to get artwork was a waste of time and webaccess. If it could be set to go after the name had been entered it might have had a chance of finding it.

AS for why it did not load old cds correctly I don't know it must a change in the identification on the cd, but it was strange on when it worked.

I have backed up the music itself to 4 different harddrives, 2 of them offline and exported the itunes xml library also.

It is a challenge to maintain a growing music, etc library. It would be nice if some safeguards could incorporated into itunes.

Thanks have a nce day

Trefis

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.