MP4.1 CPU heat sink fan speed

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gugucom, Oct 9, 2010.

1. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

My CPU heat sink fans always run above 2000 rpm. Is that avoidable?

[​IMG]

Can I do something about that to drop the speed and get rid of the noise?

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Not sure, but I recall reading somewhere that if your RAM doesn't have a proper thermal sensor your fans will max out.

3. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

I haven't used it myself but I've seen plenty of comments on smc control:
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049/smcfancontrol

Congrats on your upgrades and thanks for the updates.

JohnG

4. cutterman macrumors regular

Looks like a nice utility. Unfortunately the MP is not fully supported with the current version.

5. dissolve macrumors 6502a

It's not supported but it does work. I can't comment on stability, but I've tried it and it seemed to work as advertised. Still, there's got to be a legitimate your fans are so high.

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

71° on CPU A with no CPU usage whatsoever? No wonder the boost fans run at 2200RPM!

Did you check your thermal paste?
    I know that your CPUs have a TDP of 130W, but still, those temperatures are little too much.

My boost fans are constantly at 1200RPM and I've never seen them above 1500 with 100% CPU usage. But then my CPUs are rated with 80W TDP.

I wouldn't recommend forcing the RPM do lower speeds, as it would result in even higher CPU temperatures. Keep in mind that the Nehalems maximum core temperature is around 90° and iStat Pro doesn't read the core temperatures, rather than the HS temp. You can add more than 10° to get the approximate core temperatures.

7. gugucom thread starter macrumors 68020

gugucom

My thermal paste application is always very careful. I would not want to go to the job of taking the heat sinks off those clamp less sockets again. Every time you re do those you have a 50% chance to wreck an extremely expensive CPU tray.

I reckon that CPU A is simply the one that runs the basic load and unfortunately Apple pushes it into turbo boost all the time. My A CPU was running hotter with the standard CPUs as well. The W5590 is simply having a much higher power rating than those that Apple released for the Mac Pro.

It would be good to know if you can somehow avoid turbo boost. As usual Apple's EFI isn't user adjustable. So the only way to tweak it would be by some geeky tricks I'm not aware off.

8. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

9. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

My fans have never gone abouve 850rpm, even under heavy load. The CPU temp goes up to 60 C but only for 15 mins or so. At idle it's usually 29 - 31 C.