MP4 AVC encoding on 3.06 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by PM Smith, Sep 23, 2008.

1. PM Smith macrumors newbie

County Armagh and Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Hello all.

I am moving to a Mac as I am totally fed up with the whole windows vista experience, and plan to buy a 24in 3.06ghz iMac soon. I had a Mac IIsi in the early 1990s and loved it, but, due to financial/work considerations I had to move back to a PC.

My query is, how does the iMac handle MP2 to MP4 AVC encoding? On the PC I have used Nero Recode 3 to encode lots of Tv recordings and have been happy with the results and the speed of the program (almost realtime for 2-pass encoding on a 2.4ghz quad-core PC, with files emerging roughly one third of their original size and no real discernable difference in quality). I may install windows on my new Mac and continue to use Nero, but I would prefer to do things totally in the Mac realm. Does anyone have any experience of this type of work on the iMac in question? What programme should I use? Would Turbo264 make much of a difference?

Thanks in advance

2. ceres macrumors regular

I really like recode´s gui and simplicity. However, I am not that convinced with its results when compared to the latest x264 installments. However, it´s fine in its own right. As longs as you stick to mp2 to avc encoding, I´d go for handbrake although the programm sometime crashes and hasn´t been updated in a while. Visualhub will also do. However, if you should move on to let´s say blu ray recoding a dual core system won´t do.
    I currently run a penryn quad core system oced to 3.6 ghz and a 12mbit blu ray stream, some denoising and adding borders so that it can be output as an avchd disk for my ps3, takes roughly 4 hours to complete using ripbot 264 or megui. Most of the time I am running all cores at 100% load. Doing that on the slower iMac would take 8-10 hours. Keep in mind that AVC and Blu Ray Editing is happening in Windows right now. Some of that stuff such as MEgui and so forth won´t ever come to os x bc there are no avi script editors or frame servers / media splitters on the mac that will do. If you want to enjoy or manipulate hd video you should hang onto your pc or save for a Mac Pro.
    The next single cpu Nehalem Mac Pro might be worth a look as well.
    Alternatively, keep your pc and get a lower spec Mac Notebook for all the casual stuff. What I am saying is that the price for HD Gear has been coming down to a level where SD doesn´t make much sense any longer. I´d focus on that.

3. PM Smith thread starter macrumors newbie

County Armagh and Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Thanks Ceres. I'm not doing much HD stuff yet, nearly all SD TV programmes, with the odd bit of 1080i from my Canon HG10. I've run Nero recode 3 on a 2.0 dual core notebook PC and it was pretty fast, so it should be even better on a 3.06 dual core system. I may just end up putting windows and Nero on the iMac and running things that way. Would have preferred a decent Mac way though rather than messing about with windows again. I've encoded some 1080i HD programmes using Nero on my quad core PC and it took a similar amount of time as you describe.