Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JubileeC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
Edinburgh
Hi there

I've got a few MP4s which I've extracted using Handbrake on its "Normal" setting to run on my hard disk. I wish to convert these so that I can use them on an iPod Nano 3G, but when I use either iTunes or iStrain it seems to take something near 600-700 minutes per 100 minute movie. As I am using a Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz on Leopard I think this seems excessive. Looking at the Handbrake settings, it seems these are no so different from those of the iPod setting, except for slightly different resolution and the iPod Nano option.

So - is there an easier way to convert these files?

I've searched for an answer to this, but I never seem to get anything which is about converting mp4s to mp4s for iPod nano.

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Hi there

I've got a few MP4s which I've extracted using Handbrake on its "Normal" setting to run on my hard disk. I wish to convert these so that I can use them on an iPod Nano 3G, but when I use either iTunes or iStrain it seems to take something near 600-700 minutes per 100 minute movie. As I am using a Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz on Leopard I think this seems excessive. Looking at the Handbrake settings, it seems these are no so different from those of the iPod setting, except for slightly different resolution and the iPod Nano option.

So - is there an easier way to convert these files?

I've searched for an answer to this, but I never seem to get anything which is about converting mp4s to mp4s for iPod nano.

iSquint which is free or VisualHub (very cheap), both products are basically the same, but VisualHub has many more options.

go to Techspansion.com to read about them.

JubileeC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
Edinburgh
Is Visual Hub as slow as iSquint? If so, it's not worth buying for me. I tried the Shareware version, but it doesn't give me any idea how long proper conversion will late.

Oliver Barker

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2008
The only real difference in my opinion is that Visual Hub has more conversion options, like PSP and stuff. Though for any ipod, just use iQuint and specify the quality, if its low so as high as possible.

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
As far as I'm concerned the only app worth using for iPod use is Handbrake Lite:

http://files1.majorgeeks.com/files/f83ba74c8756ee5e420a8c85db294e30/mac/ipod/HandBrakeLiteKP1.1.dmg

This is a direct link to the download file. This program is easy:

Put DVD in, open Handbrake Lite, hit "Discard" when it asks you to update, make sure the "DVD" button is pressed (it should be by default), wait for it to read your DVD disk (takes less than a minute generally), then make sure the file it selected to rip is the actual movie (it will generally select the correct file by default as it will be the first file listed and will be the correct length timewise.) Now, if you hit "rip" it will rip the movie but will save it to your desktop as "movie.mp4." This is fine if you remember to rename it later. You could also change just the "movie" part of the download default to the actual name of the movie you are ripping. Then hit "rip." Depending on your Mac's speed it can take from less than an hour to a few hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.