mp4 editing software..

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jiker, Apr 16, 2012.

1. jiker macrumors member

:mad:

I must be going aout this all wrong. All I want is to find a program that will edit .mp4 files. I have 2 commands I'm looking to perform - split and merge. I've tried 4 different pieces of software, and they are either ridiculously unintuitive or they transcode the file to a different format (iMovie).

Basically I have an .mp4 of my band playing a gig. It's an hour long, and it's SD resolution. I just want to chop up the video into the individual songs. I want the 15 or so individual clips to in .mp4 when I'm done - no fancy transitions, just cut to length. I'd also like the ability to merge 2 .mp4 files together into a single file - like using cat on two files in the terminal. Is this too much to ask?

There SHOULD be a program that does this relatively simply. Of the 4 I've tried, none were simple enough for me to figure out, had horrible bugs, and I'm not patient enough to let iMovie encode the whole thing twice.

I'm very tempted to write my own app. That seems easier that figuring this out. I am just suuuuuuuuuper frustrated right now - I'm hoping the collective minds at MacRumors could help me sort this all out. I'v tried iMovie, Simple Movie x, Vivideo, Quicktime (apparently QT 7 Pro was awesome, and then Apple killed it? The version I have does nothing in terms of editing).

What am I missing?

2. simsaladimbamba

You can still install QuickTime 7 on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and probably Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.
    If not, you can try MPEG Streamclip, which allows trimming and merging (but no two clips can be opened at once, unless you duplicate MPEG Streamclip and opene each video in a separate copy of MPEG Streamclip) but during export the video will be transcoded again, unless the Save As function works with .mp4 files like you want.

Just so you know, .mp4 files use the H.264 codec, which is NOT an editing codec.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What you want to do is trivial in QuickTime X. Just keep a master copy of your video. From your master copy, clip-out each song.

4. mBox macrumors 68020

Im not sure but do they still sell QuickTime Pro?
    If its a few bucks maybe that would work?

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

QuickTime Pro will certainly do the trick. However, QuickTime Pro is not required. The free QuickTime X features the ability to edit video clips. Having done it using QuickTime Pro and QuickTime X, it is slightly easier using QuickTime X.

6. mBox macrumors 68020

Yep thats kind of what I meant. Since the last time Ive had to do that I got the message that I needed Pro. It was an old OS.