MP4 playback on TV problems

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jwatc75, Jun 3, 2014.

1. jwatc75 macrumors newbie

I created some MP4 files from old VHS tapes using handbrake. I combined some of the MP4's using Windows Movie Maker to get entire VHS tape into one MP4 file. I also tried combining using IMovie. I loaded the MP4's onto new seagate portable HD. Also tried regular thumb drive.

The problem is no matter the method (just handbrake, movie maker, or IMovie) I can't get the MP4's to play back well using blue-ray player. If the MP4 is about 500mb in size it will play but when I fast forward I lose sound after about 5 mintues. If it is 3gb I lose sound after 36 seconds and if it is 9gb the blue-ray will not even recognize the file. The first BR player I tried was an LG (2010) and in manual says it is capable of playing MP4's. I then went to electronics store and explained my problem. Told them I would buy a BR player on the spot if it can play my MP4's. They opened new Samsung and I plugged in HD and still same problem.

Is there an easy way to play these videos that isn't too technical or expensive. Roku maybe? I'd buy it if I knew it was going to solve my problem. I tried googling the issue but can't seem to find anyone with similar issues.

Thank in advance!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What happens when you play your videos in Windows Media Player and QuickTime Player?

3. jwatc75 thread starter macrumors newbie

So the MP4 that is 2.15gb plays on both players fine, the other files are at least 5gb and not playable with either player. I guess that is why they aren't recognized on BR player.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It appears that the problem is staring you in the face. I'm betting dollars to donuts that your USB drive is formatted FAT32. FAT32 files are limited to 4 GB. If your Blu-ray player can handle NTFS or exFAT, then format your drive with the newer file system.

5. jwatc75, Jun 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014

jwatc75 thread starter macrumors newbie

The Seagate HD is formatted NTFS. I tried ExFat and even tried different file allocation sizes. It doesn't appear that is the problem. I can't play the large mp4's that are on my desktop so there must be something limiting me. I can't believe nobody has similar issues as this.

The one thing that seemed to work was compressing the 2gb mp4 down to 900mb and it played fine on BR player; was able to FF and everything. The only problem was I used Skysoft Video Converter trial so I would like to figure out how to do it with Handbrake or Streamclip. I'm not even sure if I should be looking for another forum as I may be getting off-topic.