MP4 that has two audio tracks to DVD...HELP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MassMacGuy, Jan 20, 2012.

1. MassMacGuy macrumors newbie

I have an mp4 that has two audio tracks, one french, one english. In VLC player I can toggle between the two audio tracks. When I burn to dvd the two tracks play over each other. I tried everything using my remote for the dvd player to switch audio tracks but it does not work.

Any suggestions on how to get a finished dvd that only contains the english audio? Any suggestions for programs and how to go about perhaps deleting one of the audio tracks?

I am burning using Toast if that matters. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. boch82 macrumors 6502

You will need an authoring program such as DVD Studio Pro. That will allow you to point the different audio tracks to different languages. That way when playing the DVD the person viewing can select the language.

The other option would be to re-export from VLC with each track separate. Then have 2 menu options that point to a version in English and French.

3. floh macrumors 6502

This is a very expensive program with a steep learning curve. (although awesome!)

If you really only want the English audio and discard the French, you could recode the file leaving out the French audio track. As boch82 said, this can be done in VLC or another encoding program like Handbrake.

Be aware that you will lose quality this way! There are definitely programs which can throw away one audio track without recoding everything, but off the top of my head, I can't remember a nice GUI for that purpose.
    I would probably use the command line tool ffmpeg. If you feel comfortable enough in a Terminal, you can install it via MacPorts (or maybe there is a downloadable installer) and try something like:

ffmpeg -i Infile.avi -map 0:0 -map 0:2 -vcodec copy -acodec copy Outfile.avi

This copies the tracks 0:0 (usually video track) and 0:2 (the second audio track) to the new file.

Good luck!

4. MassMacGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the suggestions, How do you export from VLC? I wasn't aware you could. I do have Handbrake as well. What about MPEG Streamclip? That program has done some pretty cool conversion, trimming, etc for me in the past.

5. boch82 macrumors 6502

Do you have quicktime pro? If you dont need the french track you can select the track you want and just save the file (no quality loss). The use the same method with toast.

Its only $29 http://www.apple.com/quicktime/extending/

The other option is to pull it into FCP, iMovie or another editing program. If it has 2 channels of audio then you can delete one and send directly to authoring/burning software