.mp4 to commercial DVD won't play

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dedalus, Feb 28, 2009.

1. dedalus macrumors member

hi there,

i have an .mp4 file, burned a DVD and tried to play it on my commercial DVD on my TV. Doesn't work at all. It works fine if I put the DVD on my MBPro. IS there a system to make it work on my commercial DVD? Sorry for the dumb question but it's my first crack at DVD burning...

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Your mp4 file has to be converted to the DVD format. I don't know offhand the best app to use for that conversion, but I think iDVD will do it.

3. dedalus thread starter macrumors member

thanks for your help. let's hope someone else can tell me the app to use.

cheers.

4. dedalus thread starter macrumors member

5. petemwah macrumors regular

i'd recommend roxio toast as being the best solution to burning the dvd...

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

7. dedalus thread starter macrumors member

iDVD took 4 hours and 38 minutes to burn a 96 minute movie, is that normal?:eek:

8. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Depends on the movie. It's not necessarily abnormal. Might have taken longer because of the original video type. But a few years back, that was a pretty standard time to encode.

9. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Dedalus, I will take the liberty of re-using a post I made a few months back for a similar topic:

"You first need to understand that a "movie" DVD is different from a "data" DVD. I mean, you can burn any kind of data to a DVD if your computer have a DVD burner, but a home dvd player will only read DVD discs that have just MPEG2 files (those are the ones that come with .bup, .ifo, .vob endings inside a VIDEO_TS folder when you insert a commercial DVD on your computer). Unless you understand this, you will make an error many people makes, e.g., trying to watch a powerpoint presentation (or an avi or mp4 movie, it's the same) they burned to a DVD disc in their home DVD player..."

Now, with this concept cleared, I suggest you to use VisualHub (get it from a mirror site or trough torrent, since it is no longer distributed by the original company) to "Convert" your MP4 file to MPEG2 files (DVD format that will play in your Home DVD player). This would be much more fast than creating and encoding additional content trough iDVD.