mp4 to DVD/iPod problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Abmiram, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Abmiram macrumors newbie

I'm using handbrake to rip my dvd library.
    Quicktime preset.
    It's been working fine, have no complaints.

However, recently I've been attempting to burn a dvd with some of the movies
    that I ripped using handbrake. This is where the problems began.

I tried burning a few episodes of a TV series to a DVD using iDvd program... it said that the dvd only had space for 3 300mb episodes. Somehow the project info window said that those three episodes where somewhere in the window of 4gb. And when I did try to burn the dvd, the encoding process took quite literally an eon. Solutions? Why is it that the iDvd program makes the files so huge? Why does the encoding take so long? I don't need anything fancy, I'm simply trying to get my .mp4 library into a form watchable from a dvd player.

I also had a similar problem with itunes, trying to import the movies to watch on my ipod video. It transferred into itunes just fine, but when I tried to load it onto the ipod, it said that it wasn't the right format. It then began to encode the movie, and I let it run all night, to come out the next morning and find it only 25% completed. Anyone know of a way to get large (2gb max) .mp4 files onto an ipod easily?

Any advice or finger-pointing in a good direction would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. slu macrumors 68000

slu

You need to use a different Handbrake preset if you want to watch on your ipod. That is why iTunes tried to re-encode it. Use one of the iPod presets in handbrake and re-rip. Or you will have to use iTunes to convert them.

DVDs use MPEG-2 encoding, which is not as efficient as MPEG-4. iDVD re-encoded your mp4s to MPEG-2, which is why it took so long and why you can't fit as much on a DVD as you expect.

3. Abmiram thread starter macrumors newbie

ok...

alright. sounds good. thank you for the info.

....um.... any like.... solutions to the problems?

4. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Listen buddy...

What are you talking about?

I gave you a solution to the "problems" (which aren't really problems, but user error).

If you ripped the DVD properly in Handbrake, iTunes wouldn't need to convert it, so it wouldn't take forever to do so. It would load right on to your iPod. Use an iPod preset when you rip!

iDVD takes as long as it takes because it has to convert the video to a different format before it burns it. This format takes more space then an mp4.

If you want it to be faster, get a faster computer.

Or if you want to copy a DVD skip the encoding to mp4 altogether and use Mac The Ripper to rip the DVD and a program like Popcorn or Toast to burn it to a DVD. This saves you the time consuming process of encoding to mp4 and the re-encoding to mpeg2.

um...like...way to piss off the only person that is trying to help you.

5. Abmiram thread starter macrumors newbie

your totally right dude, I'm sorry.

I'll word things much gentler next time.
    Forgot that most mac users are sensitive, delicate creatures.