MP4 to WAV - Is there ANY program that can do this for free?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CFoss, Jan 24, 2012.

1. CFoss macrumors 6502

I'm working on a music project for a client, which requires me to work on the audio of a DVD. I have access to the Logic Studio suite, but I can't seem to import the MP4 or MV4 files (aka the DVD).

I HAVE done this before, but I think it was using VLC on Windows (which is unfortunately not an option right now). VLC on the Mac seems to lack the export features.

This is very urgent, so if anyone has any advice, I am all ears (please don't suggest purchasing video software). Thanks for your time.

2. JAT macrumors 603

To .wav? Ignoring the "why", can't iTunes do that?

3. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

iTunes for Mac can do that. I join you in wondering why anyone would want to.
    Yes, it can.

5. CFoss thread starter macrumors 6502

Oddly, iTunes does not give me the option to export the audio... perhaps I looked at the wrong tab?

Audacity... I haven't used that in a while. Last I checked, it can record what your soundcard is playing, but not rip the audio from a video clip. Has it been updated since then? If so, I find it rather amusing that Audacity can do such a basic function, yet Soundtrack Pro cannot.

6. JAT macrumors 603

If you have audio files, iTunes offers the option to rip to other formats, although it isn't obvious. You go into prefs, and change the Import settings to the desired format. Then either import them or select "Create xxxx version" if already in iTunes' library. It creates the targeted format.

But you need to rip the DVD first. VLC Mac appears to do this, just checked it out. Export audio only (Streaming/Export Wizard) to uncompressed (wav). I've never actually done it.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

On re-reading your OP, it looks like you want to extract the audio from the video directly. You need to extract the audio before iTunes or Audacity can convert it to WAV format. You can use MPEG Streamclip to extract the audio to MP3, then convert with iTunes or Audacity.

8. interrobang macrumors 6502

I'm guessing he's got some old device that will only play WAV audio. WAV has been around forever (though not as long as AIFF!)

9. JAT macrumors 603

So, tried it. VLC works. Just ripped audio only to wav from an mkv file.

10. codymac macrumors 6502

If it's a sub-10 minute section of audio, the trial version of Audio Hijack Pro should do it (it's limited to 10 minutes or something like that).

11. CFoss thread starter macrumors 6502

The DVD is around two hours long, but I only need a minute from one scene.

Any lossless format will do, but the final clip has to be in WAV. I would like to avoid converting to MP3 if possible.

12. JAT macrumors 603

So...are you still asking for advice?

VLC to rip to wav. Audacity or whatever you have to pull out just the minute you need.