MP4 video problems...worked fine on my old iPhone...terrible on 3G S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rotobadger, Jun 19, 2009.

1. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Can anyone give me some insight as to what the problem may be? I have a bunch of video converted using Red Kawa iPhone video converter. I have a bunch of old Star Trek Next Generation videos in MP4 format. They looked and played great on both my 3G iPhone and my first gen iPhone. I copied them over to the new 3G S and the screen turns green and the video freezes and "ghost" images of the previous scene appear over the new scene. Jagged too.

Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS!

2. sgrizzle macrumors member

sgrizzle

All of my MP4 videos (handbrake) seem fine

3. letsmod macrumors newbie

letsmod

I had to right click on my video's then set to "Convert to ipod/iphone video" to get them to work again in iTunes

4. ckhris macrumors member

5. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Hmmm...Was there a change in the video player for the new iPhone that could cause this?

6. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

both phones use the chips hardware player for h264 videos, it's got a new chip with a different player.

7. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Does anyone have any more info/a solution? I have a ton of stuff I converted that doesn't work on my 3G S now...

8. fddc macrumors newbie

9. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Well here's a little more info:

A few of the videos that DO work are either 23.98 or 25 frames per second and the videos that did not work were at 30 FPS. I re-encoded a 30 FPS video at 25 FPS and it seemed to fix the problem. I did it in kind of a hurry so I'm not positive that was the only factor but I'll try again soon.

Hope that helps...

10. fddc macrumors newbie

huh...that's funny, my re-encode (<25fps) still has same issue.

I then tried re-encode H.264 rather than XVID and I think that might work for my videos...still testing.

I will report back.

11. notjustgc macrumors 6502

notjustgc

Guys, obviously this is because the iPhone is just an MP3 player. Everyone knows the only place you can find a legit "MP4 player" is inside the crane machines at the arcade or on street corners in midtown manhattan. Oddly, they all look just like iPhones, so I can see where everyone would get confused. :D

12. sgrizzle macrumors member

sgrizzle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_14

13. quaff1976 macrumors newbie

I've been experiencing the exact same problems as the OP. Green flashing, pixellation, choppiness. The files used to work fine on my iPhone 3G. The rips were done using the Xvid encoder. Apparently this is the problem for me.

I ripped a new DVD using H264 at 30 FPS and a bitrate of 900 kbps. The result works perfectly on the 3GS (at least what I've seen so far).

14. AsifRB macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem!!!!

I had converted a lot of avi. Files into mpeg 4 format and was able to play them on the iPhone 3g without any problems. I bought an iPhone 3gs 2 days ago and have transferred my video files (through iTunes) onto the 3gs. I have found that some files will play, but the majority now have a green background and are very pixelated as it moves from one frame to the next. The audio appears to be ok. Has anyone else come across this problem? It's very frustrating! I would not have got the 3gs if I knew I'd have this problem.

1.30pm - I've just called Apple and explained the problem to them, the guy said it sounds like a problem with the handset and that I should first connect it to Itunes and then on the summary page 'restore' it (to factory settings), to see if this resolves the problem. If it doesn't he's advised me to take it to the Apple Store in Regent's Street for them to have a look at. I have to put some video files onto it which are showing the problem. If they can't fix it he said they will replace it! I hope this information helps you!

15. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I know what the problem is.

You have to reverse the polarity of the tachyon beam, that should close up the anomaly in space time that is effecting your video play back.

:cool:

16. AsifRB macrumors newbie

Why bother?

Thanks for your unhelpful input. You must have a very interesting life if all you do is reply with rubbish to the problems put on this forum! :mad:

17. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Seen this on one or two the iPlayer streams (e.g. Macintyre at Swansea). Anyone have issues with iPlayer causing distortion.corrupted video?

18. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Your a moron and didn't understand the joke.