mp4 Video Size

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by donm3ga, Aug 26, 2008.

1. donm3ga macrumors member

I'm using Videora iPod Converter to convert some shows to mp4 format. The files in avi format are roughly 175MB. After conversion to mp4 they are about 340MB.

Is this normal? Is everyone else getting the same results?

2. d900man macrumors regular

d900man

yeah i get the same results, i dont know why this is, i wish i could sort it out

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

With MPEG Stream Converter I get much larger filesizes as mp4 as opposed to avi, as well. I believe that this is normal. There is nothing to "sort out", mp4 is just a far better quality. As much as I would like to have my seasons of House M.D. in iTunes, it's not worth tripling the size of each episode (they're HD).

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yeah, this is totally normal. Like Tallest Skil said, MP4 is a higher quality format than AVI, and therefore takes up more space. For a bit of perspective, when I was in college, a Simpsons episode was 35.5 MB in RealPlayer...and the quality was crap. A normal episode now is ~350 MB in AVI, higher if you're going for HD.

5. DN7335 macrumors 6502

There are a lot of factors that go into file size, not just the encoder. You have to look at the resolution, frame rate, bit rate, etc. Check your settings and tweak them, find out what level of quality you can live with. Generallly, the higher the quality (faster framerate, larger bitrate, larger resolution) of the file, the larger the file size will be.

Very good info here.

6. donm3ga thread starter macrumors member

Of course this is common sense. I did the same file one with highest settings and one with lowest settings. The difference in size between the two was about 20MB. 340MB compared to 360MB is nothing. So quality seems to not have much of an impact on file size.