mp4 vs m4v

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by heisenberg123, Sep 23, 2012.

1. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I always thought they were virtually the same but some devices that support mp4 dont recognize m4v files, a simple renaming them the mp4 makes the show up on that said device but why would m4v not work?

2. ProudLoz macrumors regular

If I remember correctly, .m4v is a special extension from the MP4 container that Apple uses to allow certain atoms, streams, and metadata to be used for their own video files that they sell on the iTunes Store.

In other words, the .m4v extension is kinda propriety to Apple products, and so not all other non-Apple devices will be able to read the extension.

Another thing would be that the device that you're using hasn't been updated to recognize the .m4v extension yet.

3. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

thanks for the reply

4. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Good to know. I've been curious about this too.

5. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

My meta data collector takes the mp4 and gathers all the info and Artwork about the show/movie and saves it as an m4v for itunes.

6. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yes mine too i use identify

if you really need it to be .mp4 again just rename the extension and it wont screw up the file

7. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

That's the one. I had completely forgotten the name. I wish it would pull square cover art for tv shows though

8. dynaflash macrumors 68020

.m4v extension tells apple devices to recognize chapter markers and AC3 audio. afaik no effect on non apple devices.

Edit: as well a .m4v suffix will open the file up in iTunes, while a .mp4 extension will open it up in QT by default.