MP4's on old hardware....

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by TorpedoIPA, Mar 31, 2011.

1. TorpedoIPA macrumors newbie

Hello all,

Long time mac user, just never posted here... Thanks for any tips on this.

One thing I am trying to do is playback m4v files, or any mp4 flavor for that matter on old Power PC, G4, G5, and it's terrible at best. I have newer intel machines that handle the playback of the same files perfectly. Using the full version of quicktime pro on the old processors, added Perian_1.2.1 to playback AC3 streams, (works well) but the component to playback video smoothly is the issue.

Experts: is there anything to solve this? I really hate to abandon my few but reliable Power PC machines, and want to use them as long as they will work.

Thank you!

2. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Leopard didn't support hardware h264 decoding, so even if you were able to swap the video card for a newer one that does it, it won't help your cause sadly.

3. Dave H macrumors 6502

Dave H

4. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

My memory is a bit fuzzy but I think that converted MP4s from iSquint ran ok on my Sawtooth G4.

5. TorpedoIPA thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys,

I have tried VLC, no-go there either. I can get the audio working just fine in mp4, but the video seems to be stifled by the processor design... at least that's what it seems like.

I too remember toying with iSquint and having the smaller mp4's working alright. Maybe there is just one wrapper/codec/extension that will work with the PowerPC layout???? Also seem to remember making .mov's using the h.264 codec within that wrapper, and those I remember working a bit.

I suppose the better question with all this is are the mp4 and h.264 formats simply not compatible with the PowerPC (G4, or G5) processor, or is it another issue that makes them play 1/3 of the normal frame-rate? I have plenty of ram, and the upgraded video or display cards in these machines and whether I'm in iTunes, Quicktime, or VLC playing these back, I am getting similar "stuttery" results.

Was there ever a ".component" for quicktime that helped play newer codecs?

I appreciate the help in this subject, truly! Hate to put aside these great computers when there is nothing wrong with them and could be used as a localized media server.

6. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Quicktime player itself is one of the most resource hogging video players on the Mac platform.

On my G4 1.8GHz I use a PowerPC optimized version of mplayer most of the time and have VLC in waiting for the very rare occasions when mplayer won't play something.

I can't find this PowerPC optimized mplayer online anywhere now a days but I can email it to any one who wants it legally as it's open source freeware. I play h.264 all the time with it. Compared to QT it uses at least 40-50% less CPU to play the same video.

I am a video collection whore myself and have at least 2.8 of my 3.5TB storage filled with video. I would say Mplayer PowerPC optimized is hands down the best video player for a PowerPC Mac and also for quality of the picture during playback. Makes things look a little better than VLC and even uses about 10-15% less CPU than it. Mplayer even has a great disk cache feature that makes it play rips from a DVD or CD very well.

7. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I upped the file to mediafire so people that want it can easily download it. Mplayer PowerPC Optimized Build

For best results set the A/V and Misc. preferences exactly as show below:
    [​IMG]

This build of Mplayer works like a champ on my G4 1.8GHz and even my Aunt's G4 500MHz tower. The "drop frame rates on slower machines" option is great to have on. It only drops frames when it needs to. It can easily turn choppy playback into smooth.

Enjoy :)

8. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

9. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

I am gonna try this on my G5 Quad.. will let you know if it works or not.

10. TorpedoIPA thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey way cool on the upload Zen.State! Thanks, I'll give it a whirl and post how it goes.

11. TorpedoIPA thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to report.... MPlayer does not help the problem here. Encoded files in m4v, using the latest version of handbrake on an Intel machine is how the original files were generated. Playback results on intel Mac's, just perfect, PowerPC Mac's, absolute junk. Of course should I want to utilize these files without struggle my best option is to buy a new machine (macmini with hdmi) but that's just $600 that I can't see spending on something to read these. I am trying a Western Digital Plus media player this week to see it that will play this sort of file without struggle. We'll see.

Most of the reason to generate the original files on the intel box was wanting to expedite the process and not have the cue running for a month. Probably not worth it now.

Is there any way to play the newer codec (Encoded file type JVT/AVC/M4V using Handbrake Version 0.9.5 x86_64 (2011010300) on the PowerPC machines accurately?

A .component for quicktime is the ideal here but probably impossible to find.

Thanks!

12. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Giving us a Media Info report would help greatly.

13. Joshuarocks macrumors 6502

Joshuarocks

4096p video

I was amazed that my G5 Quad could play this with no drop in frame rates.. Has anyone ever tried on the last G5's to play a video over 1080p?

14. TorpedoIPA, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2011

TorpedoIPA thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help but I'll figure something else out.

Later.