Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Agreed ! We need some adventurous cMP owner who is already NVMe M.2 booting with a spare motherboard and lot's of spare time to see whether the y can still boot to NVMe after the upgrade.

On the other hand . . perhaps in future Mojave betas we might even get native NVMe booting for cMP's - the 5.0 GT/s for the new AMD cards shows that our cMP's are being regarded as still being viable Apple machines.

If Mac Books /Mac Book Pro's still boot from NVMe with the new Mojave bootrom then perhaps all is well as they already have the . NVMe_DXE183.ffs don't they ?

EDIT : I'm not sure whether Mac Books / Mac Pro's / iMacs got the 138 bootrom

Personally, I will be watching future Mojave updates with great interest but I won't be installing it until it goes GM.
I'm very happy with being able to boot M.2 960 EVO into High Sierra 10.13.6.

The next few months should be interesting indeed.

I think @handheldgames is testing it right now, so hopefully we’ll know soon.

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I've backed up the 0089 ROM, installed the 138 upgrade and Mojave is finishing it's install on a SATA II SSD. Once Mojave Boots, I'll add nvme.ffs to the rom and install the Highpoint SSD7101a / 970 Pro to test out NVMe

Fingers crossed...
[doublepost=1534210092][/doublepost]Someone else suggested testing NVNe booting with the new firmware before modifying it, on the unlikely chance they gave us that too.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
fingers . . toes . . . and . . . . . . eyes crossed :D

Since Gilles. dosdude & all the other contributors breakthroughs . .we certainly have had a very eventful 2018

Seems like we get a new breath of fresh air ever two months or so.

My 4,1>5,1 may yet have many useful & productive years left in her.

EDIT : " handheldgames " may well become our latest cMP pioneering hero.

Good Luck "handheldgames " !

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Seems no NVMe native support, but current UEFITool can't parse 4fs.

Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 22.45.13.png

Reactions: bookemdano

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I have absolute confidence in dosdude1's ability to deal with this :)
Apple is changing dramatically the MP5,1 firmware. If they implement signing/certificates, like on iMac Pro and MacBook Pro 2018, adieu firmware mods. So it's really important to bug Apple to include NVMe natively.

BTW, I'd never even hoped that Apple changed the BootROM like they did today.

Reactions: Synchro3

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
OK, I'm still on HS, 10.13.6 because I have an MVC flashed GTX 1080. However, I just updated the FW to V 138.0.0.0.0.

Even though I have an EFI card, the progress bar is no longer shown during the update process. However, since HS, I get rolling text before the appearance of the Apple. That text remained on screen longer than usual, and showed activity during the upgrade.

My GPU still shows 2.5 GT/s which I believe to be purely cosmetic. Both Cuda-Z and OceanWave tell me differently, as they always have.

AND, it's reassuring to know that if I had wanted, I could have installed Mojave. I guess the GTX 1080 is recognized as a Metal capable card by Mojave.

Lou

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Apple is changing dramatically the MP5,1 firmware. If they implement signing/certificates, like on iMac Pro and MacBook Pro 2018, adieu firmware mods.

BTW, I'd never even hoped that Apple changed the BootROM like they did today.

If they would give us NVMe it wouldn’t even matter, they created the situation to begin with.

That said, I’ll stick with the newest, moddable version. If I have to lock it down, so be it for now.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Yeah, I did already, so what happens if you keep filing a bug report on the same thing?
Other people need to keep pressure, not people who already did the request. Even if Apple will respond as duplicate, it will show on QA.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Other people need to keep pressure, not people who already did the request. Even if Apple will respond as duplicate, it will show on QA.

It sounds like a campaign of bug reporting needs to be started, much like a petition.

A petition thread whereby users can click on the bug reporter link, then after the bug is filed, add their username to the list of supporters in the first post might generate some interest.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Use it on 10.13.6, I've downgraded from 138.0.0.0.0 to MP51.0089.B00 with ROMTool earlier.

I've booted into sierra to mod the rom. Currently booting into Mojave on a SATA II SSD. I should be able to restart from NVMe

EDIT: Mojave Boots from NVMe

The startup process going from SATA II to NVMe booting, the mac pro goes through 2 chime cycles.
The amount of time the progress bar is on the screen has INCREASED with 0138

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
When switching from Mojito to HS, progress bar time always increases. Restart in HS and set the startup disk to HS, then do full shutdown, then startup in HS should be normal.
[doublepost=1534215227][/doublepost]
EDIT:

We're good for now. That Google doc sure comes in handy.

Yeah, I have it on my desktop...

Every time I switch away from Mojave to another OS version, it loads slower until I’ve made 2 consecutive boots into the same OS/SSD Drive. I don’t think this is related to NVMe, and possibly not even this firmware. Mine has been doing that since day 1 with switching from SATA to M.2 booting. For me it started Long before I went NVMe.
[doublepost=1534216202][/doublepost]Did you try booting the stock 138 on NVMe to confirm no native support?

Last edited:
Reactions: handheldgames

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
When switching from Mojito to HS, progress bar time always increases. Restart in HS, then do full shutdown, then startup in HS should be normal.

It's slower. Even on subsequent boots.
When switching from Mojito to HS, progress bar time always increases. Restart in HS and set the startup disk to HS, then do full shutdown, then startup in HS should be normal.
[doublepost=1534215227][/doublepost]

Yeah, I have it on my desktop...

Every time I switch away from Mojave to another OS version, it loads slower until I’ve made 2 consecutive boots into the same OS/SSD Drive. I don’t think this is related to NVMe, and possibly not even this firmware. Mine has been doing that since day 1 with switching from SATA to M.2 booting. For me it started Long before I went NVMe.
[doublepost=1534216202][/doublepost]Did you try booting the stock 138 on NVMe to confirm no native support?

Testing 0138 for boot support was an early step. The drives can be selected in startup disk, but the system will not boot from them. All you get is a longer / delayed boot, staring at the grey screen form an extra 30 seconds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.