Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I just want to give my experience. I have 2 cmp 4.1. I’ve successfully upgraded both using 2 different cards:
- an old gt-120 (or radeon 4570 if I remember correctly) for the upgrades up to high sierra
- a nvidia 4000 for mac for the upgrade to mojave (maybe it could be added to the first post together with the k5000)
Now I want to use the opencore to install catalina... it will be a bit of an effert but I think it’s worth. I already bought the rx 5700 xt 50th anniversary to do that. I’m in the process...
Whats your GPU? Quadro 4000 or Quadro K4000? Quadro 4000 is a Fermi GPU and should not work.

AFAIK, there isn't a Quadro K4000 with pre-boot configuration support, Apple added K5000 to the list since there is a Mac Edition version.

Stephsa

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
hi, I have test more than 7 install of Mojave and Catalina on my Mac Pro 2009 and all the time I have a black screen.
My config :
2 x 3,06 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
32 Go 1333 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 7950 3072 Mo
Accelsior
where are the problem??
The graphic card was flashed and I can see the boot options. I am afraid that the card was not compatible with Mojave or Catalina but sure it is metal card. It's Tahiti GPU

Jedric

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014
I have the same card as you 7950 with 3GB flashed. Works ok for me both in Mojave and after in Catalina.

You just don't get hardware acceleration on GPU.

Last edited:

Stephsa

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
But why I always have black screen ??? Other hardware compatibility ??
I found in verbose mode many lines with :
"refusing new kext .."
perhaps the 2 xeon x5675 ?

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I still haven't got my Red Devil rx5700xt to work in my cMP. Any help would be appreciated.
You are on the wrong thread, this is a Mojave firmware focused thread. Please use the search and ask help on a more adequate thread since 5700XT is a Catalina/BigSur GPU.

Jedric

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014
But why I always have black screen ??? Other hardware compatibility ??
I found in verbose mode many lines with :
"refusing new kext .."
perhaps the 2 xeon x5675 ?

Check the OpenCore on the Mac Pro thread around 3500 post there are some discussions there about dual processor black screen.

signal

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2004
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
I tried to follow this guide, but still had issues. I would get the “No packages were eligible for install” message. On some Macs, this is because the date is wrong, and you have to make sure the date is current. However, I found a YouTube video where someone said that on other Macs you have to actually make the date wrong (closer to the release date of the version you are trying to install). I did this, and then disabled the network so the time could not be updated, and the install was able to finish. After the install finished I re-enabled the network.

I followed this video and it worked like a charm:

Stephsa

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Check the OpenCore on the Mac Pro thread around 3500 post there are some discussions there about dual processor black screen.
I don't find exactly my problem on this other thread and why use open core ? My configuration was Mojave's compatible ? No ? ... it's more difficult that I expected :)

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I don't find exactly my problem on this other thread and why use open core ? My configuration was Mojave's compatible ? No ? ... it's more difficult that I expected :)
Your problem is not related to OpenCore. You have to diagnose what is wrong with your Mac Pro. Start running ASD, then do a clean install of El Capitan or Sierra and start from there - read the first post.

Reactions: crjackson2134

Stephsa

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Your problem is not related to OpenCore. You have to diagnose what is wrong with your Mac Pro. Start running ASD, then do a clean install of El Capitan or Sierra and start from there - read the first post.
I have read the first post prior to make the first install.
I buy two CPU for 12 cores and a graphic card and find that my boot rom was 144.0.0.0.0 and 1.39f5 for SMC.
I make a new install of High Sierra on a SSD and after that I install Mojave. Then it reboot for the install process there are the boot screen then the apple logo and the screen goes black. After that impossible to reboot in any system. Like no-install. I have other disk with high Sierra installed by chance.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
I have read the first post prior to make the first install.
I buy two CPU for 12 cores and a graphic card and find that my boot rom was 144.0.0.0.0 and 1.39f5 for SMC.
I make a new install of High Sierra on a SSD and after that I install Mojave. Then it reboot for the install process there are the boot screen then the apple logo and the screen goes black. After that impossible to reboot in any system. Like no-install. I have other disk with high Sierra installed by chance.
Run AHT, then ASD, do a full diagnose with your current CPUs and then do the same tests with the original Xeons.

Btw, this thread is not adequate for help diagnosing your Mac Pro, be a good forum user and use the search to find a more appropriate one.

Reactions: Stephsa

Sixtyhorses

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2020
San Francisco
Please fully read this first post, you will probably find that you have one or more problems described into the various notes below.
Thank you Guys,
This may be my first or second post after lots interesting and relevant reading.
As a 5,1 owner since 2007, I have grown too fond of my 5,1 to let her go and this forum has been of invaluable help to maintain, so far, 10 years of 5,1 computing.

Lately I have been overloaded with responsibilities and repetitively "about" to upgrade my current Boot ROM version and have logically found new development and findings every time I get back in here. Before I read the whole thing again and check for latest comments I would like to humbly ask if at this time, given the advance of Open Core, it is at all necessary to upgrade the Boot ROM or not. I would have just done it, but my 5,1 is not close to internet so I have to transport her home for that and I would like to avoid that, if possible.

I run High Sierra 10.13.6 on SSD and will soon upgrade from 64 GB RAM to 96 (6 x16 for triple channel) on my Dual 6-Core Intel Xeon 2.93 GHz for mostly use with Logic and Davinci Resolve Studio, but I also use Final Cut 7 on Mountain Lion on rare occasion.

My card is a flashed Zotak GTX 770 4GB that in High Sierra shows as: Metal Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v3.

I have been editing video in 2K and 4K with this card with an SAS ATTO card connected to a 16 bay hard drive enclosure for some years. I currently don't use it and plan to upgraded to thunderbolt, though not right away as I may prefer to stay small and within the mac's own storage potential and amazing newer options.

What is the latest recommended reading to follow as of today?
Is upgrading to Boot ROM 144.0.0.0.0 still a MUST, before upgrading to Mojave and beyond?
Or do I go with Open Core as is?

Kind regards,
Alex :)

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
You should do all offline.

just download the Mojave 10.14.6 Full Install and run the installer From High Sierra.

good advice imho is a backup of your rom with dosdudes rom tool.

if it wont install offline theres the option to get a 144 rom file compiled out of your rom backup. Ask tsialex or if he is too busy I can help, too.

Sixtyhorses

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2020
San Francisco
You should do all offline.

just download the Mojave 10.14.6 Full Install and run the installer From High Sierra.

good advice imho is a backup of your rom with dosdudes rom tool.

if it wont install offline theres the option to get a 144 rom file compiled out of your rom backup. Ask tsialex or if he is too busy I can help, too.

Thank you kindly, Macschrauber.
One of the reasons I asked is that I have read the first post numerous times and from my perspective, one of the areas in the first post mentions not doing what you suggest.

[B said:
"Hacked installs note:[/B]

If you did a hacked install, like dosdude one, you will probably need to do a clean install to upgrade your firmware.

Only the full Mac App Store installers work for upgrading the firmware, macOS installers patched with dosdude tool can't upgrade the firmware. Apple firmware upgrade tool needs a clean and standard EFI partition to do so, so you probably need to do a clean install before trying to upgrade the firmware if you used a hacked install.

But I have also read from tsialex that EFI flashed cards (at least) were no longer relevant due to the efficacy of Open Core and I am simply confused after reading most topics available related to this and what may be needed or not. I don't want to mess anything up. And at the same time, I also read that we should upgrade to Boot ROM 144.0.0.0.0 now (which was a while back) so I don't want to risk missing that train and maybe not being able to upgrade the OS into the future due to being late. :) ...or worse--brick it.

But if you know that it should be done offline as you said and you know tsialex agrees with you, please confirm and I'll search for the procedure. I can already say that it has been hard to define which Mojave installer to download for this purpose, or even to just upgrade the Boot ROM and cancel the OS install. And usb install seems not to be recommended. A clean cut straight Apple install is recommended. And due to testing different things and taking way to long, I have never completed the whole process.

Many thanks!
(Also, apologies if my quoting fails...)

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you kindly, Macschrauber.
One of the reasons I asked is that I have read the first post numerous times and from my perspective, one of the areas in the first post mentions not doing what you suggest.

But I have also read from tsialex that EFI flashed cards (at least) were no longer relevant due to the efficacy of Open Core and I am simply confused after reading most topics available related to this and what may be needed or not. I don't want to mess anything up. And at the same time, I also read that we should upgrade to Boot ROM 144.0.0.0.0 now (which was a while back) so I don't want to risk missing that train and maybe not being able to upgrade the OS into the future due to being late. :) ...or worse--brick it.

But if you know that it should be done offline as you said and you know tsialex agrees with you, please confirm and I'll search for the procedure. I can already say that it has been hard to define which Mojave installer to download for this purpose, or even to just upgrade the Boot ROM and cancel the OS install. And usb install seems not to be recommended. A clean cut straight Apple install is recommended. And due to testing different things and taking way to long, I have never completed the whole process.

Many thanks!
(Also, apologies if my quoting fails...)
You can’t upgrade MacPro firmware running OpenCore. You have to upgrade first.

Sixtyhorses

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2020
San Francisco
Thank you kindly, tsialex and Macshrauber,

I am on High Sierra, Boot ROM version MP51.0089.B00 and ready to move forward to 144.0.0.0.0

As for the matter of doing it offline as Macshrauber mentioned or only as an online direct download as tsiales mentions in post #1, is it possible to do this offline without risks?
- If so, is there a recommended link to the specific download?

From post #1, the link: full Mac App Store installer for Mojave leads to itunes and when it opens it reads that it is not available in the US store. I am in the US. and found many versions after digging for a while.

This is where I spent hours downloading different versions and the ones I tried where not complete versions or as full versions did not open after download. I believe I have established that I have a metal supported card. I did have very slow wifi and it stretched things further... and there may be a chance that might have influenced the downloads... I don't know.

- Does anybody now the link for the right download for online install to follow procedure as per the first post? Then I can stick to making that one work. (and drop the install after the Boot ROM is upgraded).

- If not, and if only offline is the option, where do I get the right Mojave download and is there a specific procedure to follow or just standard follow the prompts until done?

I apologize for all these questions. I am a bit stuck and I definitely want the Boot ROM upgraded now, before I move on to Mojave and further.

Your help is very appreciated.

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Thank you kindly, tsialex and Macshrauber,

I am on High Sierra, Boot ROM version MP51.0089.B00 and ready to move forward to 144.0.0.0.0

As for the matter of doing it offline as Macshrauber mentioned or only as an online direct download as tsiales mentions in post #1, is it possible to do this offline without risks?
- If so, is there a recommended link to the specific download?

From post #1, the link: full Mac App Store installer for Mojave leads to itunes and when it opens it reads that it is not available in the US store. I am in the US. and found many versions after digging for a while.

This is where I spent hours downloading different versions and the ones I tried where not complete versions or as full versions did not open after download. I believe I have established that I have a metal supported card. I did have very slow wifi and it stretched things further... and there may be a chance that might have influenced the downloads... I don't know.

- Does anybody now the link for the right download for online install to follow procedure as per the first post? Then I can stick to making that one work. (and drop the install after the Boot ROM is upgraded).

- If not, and if only offline is the option, where do I get the right Mojave download and is there a specific procedure to follow or just standard follow the prompts until done?

I apologize for all these questions. I am a bit stuck and I definitely want the Boot ROM upgraded now, before I move on to Mojave and further.

Your help is very appreciated.
Mojave direct link from first post is correct, just opened it from High Sierra and confirmed it working:
Screen Shot 2020-10-04 at 00.00.34.png

Anyway, you can always use installinstallmacos.py to download Mojave full installer.

Sixtyhorses

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2020
San Francisco
Thank you, tsialex!
The problem must be that I tried downloading it from my macbook air, which is running Mojave already. I have to take my 5,1 home and try your link from there.

Thanks again!
Mojave direct link from first post is correct, just opened it from High Sierra and confirmed it working:
View attachment 962730

Anyway, you can always use installinstallmacos.py to download Mojave full installer.

Thanks for that tip, tsialex!

I am however not familiar with this process and will start with installing High Sierra as a clean install through Apple. Once I have the clean install and now with internet available, I will upgrade the Boot ROM, make a back up and then upgrade to Mojave. Or at least, that is the plan for today... :)

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
you can always use the installinstallmacos.py script.

directly from terminal:

Code:
curl -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/munki/macadmin-scripts/main/installinstallmacos.py && sudo /usr/bin/python installinstallmacos.py

right now it gives:

Code:
 #      ProductID    Version    Build   Post Date  Title
 1      001-04366    10.15.4  19E2269  2020-05-04  macOS Catalina
 2      041-91758    10.13.6    17G66  2019-10-19  macOS High Sierra
 3      041-88800    10.14.4  18E2034  2019-10-23  macOS Mojave
 4      061-26589    10.14.6   18G103  2019-10-14  macOS Mojave
 5      001-51042    10.15.7     19H2  2020-09-24  macOS Catalina
 6      001-36735    10.15.6  19G2006  2020-08-06  macOS Catalina
 7      061-86291    10.15.3  19D2064  2020-03-23  macOS Catalina
 8      041-90855    10.13.5   17F66a  2019-10-23  Install macOS High Sierra Beta
 9      061-26578    10.14.5  18F2059  2019-10-14  macOS Mojave
10      001-36801    10.15.6  19G2021  2020-08-12  macOS Catalina

where #4 is the latest Mojave full install.

Sixtyhorses

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2020
San Francisco
you can always use the installinstallmacos.py script.

directly from terminal:

Code:
curl -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/munki/macadmin-scripts/main/installinstallmacos.py && sudo /usr/bin/python installinstallmacos.py

right now it gives:

Code:
 #      ProductID    Version    Build   Post Date  Title
1      001-04366    10.15.4  19E2269  2020-05-04  macOS Catalina
2      041-91758    10.13.6    17G66  2019-10-19  macOS High Sierra
3      041-88800    10.14.4  18E2034  2019-10-23  macOS Mojave
4      061-26589    10.14.6   18G103  2019-10-14  macOS Mojave
5      001-51042    10.15.7     19H2  2020-09-24  macOS Catalina
6      001-36735    10.15.6  19G2006  2020-08-06  macOS Catalina
7      061-86291    10.15.3  19D2064  2020-03-23  macOS Catalina
8      041-90855    10.13.5   17F66a  2019-10-23  Install macOS High Sierra Beta
9      061-26578    10.14.5  18F2059  2019-10-14  macOS Mojave
10      001-36801    10.15.6  19G2021  2020-08-12  macOS Catalina

where #4 is the latest Mojave full install.

Thank you, tsialex and Macshrauber.

With proper internet it all went a lot faster and smooth.
I first created a SATA hard drive with a clean install of High Sierra, did the latest updates, then downloaded Mojave, commenced the first part of the install, verified a successfu Boot ROM upgrade and installed Mojave right after that. A complete clean install that I will backup and set aside to upgrade from later. That way I can chose to only install the applications I use and no added ""crap. (crap can live in my laptop)

Thanks again!
Happy camper here.
Getting 96GB RAM in three days. Soon I'll look at replacing my 16 bay ATTO/SAS RAID enclosure with something less noisy and running from the board instead.

Best,
Alex

Last edited:
Reactions: Macschrauber

tsialex

Contributor
Original poster
Jun 13, 2016
Possible to upgrade firmware to 144 without Metal GPU?
Simple and direct answer:

No. It's a requirement of the Mojave firmware upgrades, like an Apple OEM GPU or a third party one with pre-boot configuration support was required to do all the previous firmware upgrades from Leopard to High Sierra.

Complex answer:

If you are a firmware engineer with Mac Pro experience, you can reconstruct the whole SPI flash memory image and write to it directly, bypassing the requirements. But if you were one, you wouldn't be asking or looking here, no?

Added to the first post, to make this completely clear.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkC426
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.