MP_quad+4GB RAM Modules

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bassoonx, Mar 16, 2009.

1. bassoonx macrumors newbie

Hey,

I purchased a new Mac Pro 2,66 Quad and would like to install 3x4GB DDR3 RAM-Modules.

Apple officially does not support these modules with the new Quadcore Mac Pros.
    Has someone tried this out?

Thx
    joe

2. aibo macrumors 6502

The 4GB modules haven't shipped for anyone to test this yet. But you should know that buying 3x 4GB modules will set you back almost $2000 at current prices. http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory

3. bassoonx thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm aware of that! I'm just curious To what extent I can upgrade this beast in near future!

4. Outsider macrumors regular

Outsider

We're in the same camp as you. We are submitting our recommendations to replace the Studio department's computers. Currently they are all using G5 towers, dual 1.8 to 2.3GHz, with no more than 2.5-4GB RAM each. Many have secondary internal scratch disks. They all have stock video cards. We will be upgrading to CS4 in Q3 and need to have our hardware replaced by then. I am 90% certain we will be going Quad core Mac Pros, 2.66GHz, 6GB RAM, GT120. We are tight on cash and having an upgrade path for the graphics card will be our saving grace in 2 years. But I am hoping we can upgrade to beyond 8GB.