MPB - 13" or 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WelshBluebird, Aug 11, 2010.

1. WelshBluebird macrumors regular

Jun 27, 2010
    Been looking to get a macbook pro, and with my old dell being on the way out I finally have a real reason to :).
    So I now have to decide what one.

First of all, I currently am using a 15" Dell Inspiron 1520 which is quite bulky and heavy. I also have an Acer Aspire One which I use when I'm on trains or in bed. I'm thinking if I get the 13" macbook pro, it can perform both functions, and I can give the netbook to my parents. Would this be realistic? Is the 13" powerful enough for "normal" use, but also portable enough for train journeys etc?

Going on - I'm not a big PC gamer, the last PC game I played was Portal. My xbox 360 is my main gaming device. However, I would like the keep the option open of playing one or two games on my laptop (like Half Life Episode 3 whenever that comes out). The screen size doesnt matter as I have an external monitor, Its more the integrated GPU that I am thinking about. Even playing stuff on low / medium at the native resolution would be ok tbh. Would that be an issue, or would it be fine?

As for other usage, I do use my laptop to convert videos etc, but I usually let that run overnight, so the fact the CPU is a Core 2 Duo and not an i3 / i5 shouldn't be an issue.

Any help would be appreciated,

ps - one more thing, whats the chances of a refresh coming up this year? I know there's already been one this year, but the average gap seems to be around 8 months, which would keep us just about in 2010. Reason I'm asking is I may end up waiting till Christmas as my parents have said if I did, then they would pay half for it.
  2. erasr macrumors 6502

Sep 18, 2007
    I got one last month for mostly the same reasons as you. I also like to have a couple of good games on OSX, Starcraft 2 and CSS are the ones I'm playing right now.

It's perfect for portability, perfect for gaming (for me, like you I'm happy with medium settings) and I haven't even used an external monitor yet because even 13" is fine.

15" for me was a little too big to carry around and the extra cost wasn't worth it.
  3. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

Jul 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    No update until at least April or so. Buy whatever you can afford, I find the 15" perfect.